We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are they going to hack everyone

Kevscar1

Likes # 0

First it was Sony then Codemasters Next Came Bethseda and today Sega tell me they have been hacked as well.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

There is money in crime - certainly cyber crime - where accounts may contain bank and other details so this is likely to increase. It should encourage both those holding our data and all of us to ensure better security. We can all start by using a different name and password for each site we use - difficult to do much where the use of an e-mail address is insisted upon as the user.

Problem is that computers are pretty good at cracking security.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

It is the ones that we don't hear about that worry me more. Is what is happenning down to these companies having "not fit for purpose" and I swore never to use that overused phrase, security or are hackers so good that nothing can stop them if they really want to break into something?

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

No amount of security is 100% foolproof, there's ALWAYS a way in. The so called "amateur" hackers are good, but just imagine what a goverment sponsored team could achieve !!!!

Like this post
the hick

Likes # 0

From my latest bank statement, appears my account has been 'hacked'. A number of payments I know nothing about have been made to a well-known on-line retailer. Phoned bank to stop the account, and going in tomorrow, see about refund. Not a good start to the week!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

the hick

Rather than your bank account being hacked - which is an unlikely event - it sounds as though someone has got hold of your debit card details. That's the only way that on-line purchases are going to appear on a bank statement.

Like this post
the hick

Likes # 0

Forum Editor, yes I am now thinking that. Difficult to know who though. do you reckon the retailer concerned would divulge details to me of their customer's identity? - somehow, I think they may not.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

the hick

The retailer must not divulge anything to you, so forget about that. In any case, it would be meaningless. The main thing is that you have cancelled the card and notified your bank.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

The scary thing I found when working at Carphone warehouse was that I had someone I knew who was fraudulent provide a credit card for ID that knew wasn't his and didn't match the name he gave me. I phoned the bank and in spite of me telling them this they told me to give the card back to the guy who assaulted me in the process. He had stolen cards and bank statements from a communal mail box in a block of flats. I called the poiice who basically did nothing about it and din't even take any notice. I recalled the bank who then changed their line and I sent the card to them. This is a very common way of your bank details getting in to the wrong hands. If you (3rd person you, not YOU OP!) live in flats with a communal mail area, its much safer to pick up the card from your bank if possible. After all if they get your card from your mail box they have your address as well as all your details.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

The police to this day have never taken a statement from me. Even though I passed the Chief Constable of South Wales police in the street in Cardiff and raised it with him.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Now Bioware's been hit, looks like they are going to hit everyone

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia