We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

You couldn't make it up.

userious?

Likes # 0

I've just been watching our local news on TV and report came on about a farmer who has been cutting the grass on a village football field, free, with his own tractor, for the last three years, I dont know when but very recently he was jumped on by the custums and exise for using red diesel and fined £250.....

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

The law is quite clear - you cant use red diesel on the road - if he drove on the road to get to the footie field he broke the law.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

wiz-king

Is that true of agricultural vehicles? What if the Farmer had to cross a road to enter another field? Just a thought.link

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

As you said "You couldn't make it up"

Unbelievable.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I seem to recall, that a working radius of 50 miles of the vehicles base is allowed for agricultural use.

Red Diesel Exemptions

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

No mileage limit according to that, has it changed? I was sure that there was a limit.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

rdave13

he is allowed to use the rd top go from one field to another.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The fact that this man was fined should give you the clue that he broke the law. The second fact - that he was cutting the grass on a football field - has nothing to do with it, but I don't suppose that will deter some people from trying to make a connection.

The inference that HMRC should have let him get away with it because he was doing someone a good turn doesn't make sense. If they proceeded on that basis they might be expected to show leniency to everyone who broke the law whilst doing something public-spirited. Perhaps they should let my neighbour smuggle in a few kilos of cocaine because he regularly does the shopping for the old lady who lives at the bottom of the lane.

Or have I missed something?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

He can use the Tractor on the road if its being used for Agricultural Proposes. cutting a Football field is not agricultural, even though he is not getting payed for it

That's why he was fined, not for driving or crossing the road

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Quickbeam working radius of 50 miles of the vehicles base is allowed for agricultural use.

yes that's right but it may have changed, but I doubt it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Just a point, A farmer near me who I used to do work for in the Past used is Tractor to go to the Market and do is shopping every week at Penistone.

But that's Penistone and farmers tend to make the own rules up as they go along up hear

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks