We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Smartphone Market Woes

bremner
Resolved

Likes # 0

With the announcements from RIM and Nokia of their poor sales figures and the MS Mobile 7 operating sysyem as popular as smallpox have Apple and Android seen off the opposition and is this a good thing.

RIM Report

Nokia Report

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

"Yes they are handy, but does our lives depend on them"

Actually there have been many lives saved by use of mobile phones, but that's by the by. The fact is, mobile phone technology is part of the fabric of society, both here and in pretty well every country on the planet. Like them or loathe them, these phones are here to stay, and the mobile sector is the most hotly-contested in a very competitive technology market. Phones have become so sophisticated that they can already do pretty well everything we need or want, it's a handset manufacturer's nightmare.

Phone makers must constantly innovate or die, and that's why new phones with new gizmos hit the market with monotonous regularity. Like the fashion industry, these companies must make people think that unless they have the newest model they are carrying yesterday's technology.

Of course you can live a perfectly happy and fulfilled life without a mobile phone, but you could say the same about washing machines, dishwashers, flat screen TVs, and even computers. Our lives might not depend on these devices, but they make things easier for us, and sometimes they are just downright fun to use.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

FE I do agree with your remarks, it's how people seem to use them that get my goat, and they seem to have a phone glued to there ear no mater where they go. Just as if life is going to stop if the phone is not working or the network is down. But just like all other fads it will pass

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I only want my phone to make phone calls on, I don't have it on at work - we have lots of land lines if someone needs to talk to me about work.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I'm not sure how flat panel TVs make life easier.

I also see and agree with your point FE. However, my phones currently held together by cellotape as it still essentially works, but I cant see the woods for the trees so I'm putting off replacing it.

I don't work and have a netbook (struggling to connect it to my network but thats by they) and a desktop. So, whilst internet and email capability might be nice, they are hardly essential, and usability cant be as good on a phone because of the screeen sizes if nothing else.

Another thing, its rather superficial but theicest looking phoes are costly, and i currently pay £10pcm pay as you go and what i get suits me.

Like this post
polish

Likes # 0

in my case woodchip they are very important because of my mobile valeting business customers can contact me very easily and vice versa also iam diabetic and thankfully have never had to if there was a problem could possibly save my life.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Woodchip, did you just call mobile phones a passing fad?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...