We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New or Second Had

interzone55
Resolved

Likes # 0

For the past 12 years I've always had new cars, but now I'm think it may not be the best idea.

I've got about £11k budget to replace my current Skoda Fabia. I'm currently driving about 450 miles a week, most of that made up of a 65 mile each way commute three days a week. So economy, comfort, reliability and decent driving experience are important.

In my price range is the Kio Rio Diesel (7 year warranty), Fiat Punto & Panda Diesels (cheap and fun to drive, Fiat 500 too small for my frame unfortunately) and Citroen C3 (cheap to insure)

I also have my eye on a 3-year old Mini Cooper D, which is within my £11k budget.

The Mini is the most economical of my selection, and has good seats and driving dynamics, but it's 3-tears old and has 45,000 miles on the clock.

Has anyone here had a "new" Mini, are they reliable? I used to have a Mini when I first started driving, and I used to repair it with a couple of spanners and a lump hammer, but cars now are a little more complex.

I suppose my question is that now cars are on the whole more reliable than they used to be, is it important to buy new any more, or can I buy a 3-year old car with a reasonable amount of confidence?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I test drove a MEREVA AND ZEFIRA Like riding in a Shed after Driving my Renault 2000 Laguna 1.9 tdi that now got nearly 200,000 on the clock and does not use much oil only do the oil changes none added during 5.000 service. I tried a Kia Ceed 2 diesel estate, that I could have got used to and would be the one going for if I bought a new one

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A lot will depend on how the Mini built up the mileage. Many small journeys could cause problems but fewer long journeys could be ok. I like the Honest John reviews and especially the bit "what to look out for" Honest John Mini Cooper D

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Try a Vauxhall Agila, we have had the smallest one for five years and been very happy with it - one we got used to the sound of the three cylinder engine.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

one = once!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Thanks for the Honest John link - very useful

wiz-king

I once had to take GM to court because they repeatedly failed to repair a minor fault on a car - long story but the car was so bad it failed its MOT despite being less than 6 months old. So I'm never having a car from the GM stable again.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I tend to buy a car around 12 months old.

There's a significant saving on new, yet at least 2 years manufacturers warranty left.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have bought an ex-rental and an ex-demonstrator in the past. Both had significant savings from new, were about 6 months old and were good buys.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you are thinking of getting a Diesel car I would get the TDI version it has that bit extra acceleration when you need it and I would think cheaper to use fuel wise.

It may be over your budget but 2nd hand with low mileage will be every bit as good.

Worth having a look at the price difference.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

I have had two minis, a Cooper S and a Cooper D, the D has done 63000 faultless miles in 3 years.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

anskyber

thank you.

I've now found three for sale in dealerships close by, so I'm going to have a look at them all at the weekend. Two are Clubmans, which may be a little more practical.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days