We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Surgeon anger at TV crew during Cameron visit

john 52

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

David Cameron and Nick Clegg have still got a great deal to learn. One thing they would do well to understand is that a PR stunt like the one they tried to pull by visiting a ward in a major teaching hospital with a BBC camera crew is simply an indication of their bad judgement and their inability to stop behaving like a couple of schoolboys.

That they obviously believe we'll fall for such stuff insults my intelligence, and I was delighted to see the guilty expressions on their faces when the consultant stormed in.

I fear for the future on my country if these two continue to behave like this.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

Totally agree, but then I wonder if it has become 'normal' for a PM and his deputy (and Health secretary I thought I saw at the next bed!!) to just 'drop in' to a random hospital without warning.

If so, then the consultant had every right to react as he did, and it was a pulicity stunt gone wrong. But if management permission had been obtained then maybe that's a different matter.

As I said earlier, there may be some hot ears among the government 'advisors' who organised (or not!) this shambles.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Eee, when I were just a lad - even nurses were not allowed to wear their uniform outside the hospital unless they were wearing an outer cape. I suppose the locker rooms are now administrators offices. From the practical point of view I don't think a BBC cameraman is any more dirty than the average hospital patients visitors!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Maybe the consultant was angry because no one had told him about the visit. So he was perfectly entitled to be that way. No matter how important the intruder/s

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

I am sure that hospital management would have given permission to film, and quite likely around at the time to bathe in the glory of having the PM there.

My wife worked in an NHS hospital for many years, and it the "grey suited management" that run hospitals, not the doctors, (even though they would like to think they do).

This consultant might well be correct in requesting the them to leave, but his unpleasant arrogance is inexcusable.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

This consultant might well be correct in requesting the them to leave, but his unpleasant arrogance is inexcusable.

Arrogance or anger ? I would think from his reaction he did not know anything about this visit and what was the purpose of the visit apart from the publicity pictures . When will politicians learn stage managed situations turn the public off I would have thought the coalition government would have learned from Labours mistakes with spin doctors

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Good point, wizz-king.

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

As fourm member points out, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I think the PM handled the situation well and if the chap in the hospital hadn’t kicked off, the article would only have been seen by a relatively small number of people.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

As I said above, the point that visitors are probably by no means sterile is probably quite right. However, it would seem from waht teh Doctor said that they were in contravention of some condition of their being there. But then you could ask "well, are visitors subject to the same rules" and round and round you go.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

He, clearly, did know because he knew what the camera crew had been told.

Well if that was the case why was it not pointed out to the camera crew the restrictions that the consultant had imposed before filming had started.

Maybe they were overcome with excitement by such a high profile visit (publicity stunt)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad