We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Digital switch over.

gengiscant

Likes # 0

Up here in Edinburgh we have finally completed the switch to only digital TV, analogue is now a thing of the past. But instead of an improved reception now that we are totally digital I have had an odd experience. I have 3 TV's 2 connected to a roof aerial and the third to an indoor. On the 2 roof aerial connected TV's I have lost channels whilst the indoor connected TV I have gained channels.

An explanation as to why this is seems difficult to come by. Mind you when Edinburgh had the partial switch over a couple of weeks ago I had to retune several times before it seem to settle down. It is a bit of a pain as we all will know as you then have to re-sort the channels etc.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You'll probably need a new wideband aerial for the full digital reception. Is the indoor one newer?

Freeview reception

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

What I find odd is thet we've just completed two stages (in April in Shropshire). The TV now has a banner saying a two stage changeover will take place in September?

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

You could be receiving signals from more than one transmitter. At switchover, transmitter powers were increased ~5 fold. Main transmitters have all freeview channels while local boosters carry a reduced set. It is possible that you can pick up a local transmitter now that the power has been increased. Your indoor aerial will have poorer reception and only picks up the main transmitter.

If you are getting problems as a result of getting signals from two transmitters, a low tech solution is available. Pull out the aerial when scanning channels you do not want.

Check out http://www.ukfree.tv , input your postcode and select Digital UK Tradeview to get details of transmitters and the channels for each Mux for the transmitters in your area.

This problem is most likely to be seen if you have a wideband aerial. You can tell it is wideband if the separation between the elements varies along its length. For most people, wideband aerials are not the best option. They are less efficient than the appropriate narrow band aerial. You can find an explanation about aerials here. Unfortunately, wideband aerials are convenient for aerial installers as they do not need to carry a range of aerials.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Whatever you do, if you change the aerial. Don't be fooled into somebody trying to sell you a Digital aerial, there is no such thing a aerial is a aerial when it comes to TV but they can have more bits of aly on them to pick-up better signal

PS most important is that you install itwith the same polarity as the Transmit

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Sorry but it posted its self mid typing.

as above it as to be the same way round as the Transmitter aerial, it most likely is Horizontal Polarity, if you turn the aerial edge way on it will still work but not as it should

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I am sorry but none of you have answered my questions. Why do I now get more digital channels with the indoor aerial but less with the loft aerial, since the final digital switch over in my area on the 15th June.

If I need a new aerial so be it, but at the moment I am at a loss as to why the loft aerial was sufficient prior to the switch over but now is not, if transmitter power was increased 5 fold. Surely I should be getting a better service rather than a lesser.

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

Just looked at the Craigkelly transmitter details. It uses channels 21, 24, 27, 39, 42 & 45. From the wolfbane site (click here), narrow band aerials will cover channels: Aerial groups: A 21-37 red, B 35-53 yellow, CD 48-68 green, E 35-68 brown, K 21-48 grey, W 21-68 black; You should use a wideband aerial (W or K). Do you know what type of aerial you are using?

P.S. Craigkelly transmitter has engineering work ongoing.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Possibly a little extreme, but a permanent way to get rid of a wart.

wart removal

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Check your Outside Aerial it set to Horizontal, that means elements should be layed flat

PS if they are already that way then try turning it to Vertical

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Sorry about that

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...