We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Now for an ice age?

nangadef
Resolved

Likes # 0

Forget global warming http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/14/ice_age/

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

global warming has been thrashed to death by the leftie/green/unclean lot now time to change ideas and flog the new ice age concept.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

It is possible that one will cause the other.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Will this herald a second Viking invasion as their frozen homelands become uninhabitable? Will the rightful heir of Hardrada take his place on our throne that was stolen by that Norman whatsisname bloke...?

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I recall I think in the 1970s a mini ice age was being forcast. I have always been sceptial as to "global warming" The earth has been warming for the last 10000 years with the occasional cooler period. There have been periods in the earths ancient history prior to 10000 years ago when the climate was hotter and cooler than the last Ice Age. I believe the primary reason for global temperature changes is due in the main to variations in the radiation from the sun as quoted in nangadef's link and also the amount of volacanic activity.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

the only way for an ice age to come back is if the warm undercurrent from the carribean to british waters diverts elsewhere or stops.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

I believe the theory is along the lines that Global warming will melt the Polar caps.Fresh water generated will sink as it is less dense.This will divert or completely stop the Atlantic conveyor(as mentioned by Sunny Staines). This will result in Igloos at Torquay. Or it might not.

Like this post
wids001

Likes # 0

Why are we suddenly talking about Global Warming again! The experts ditched that phrase a few years back when it was realised that global temperatures were actually falling! More recently the "in" phrase has been Climate Change. Of course, unlike Global Warming, this new phrase can be attributed to even the slightest change in the weather.

Now it would appear that even this phrase has run its time and, as Sunnystaines characterises so well, the "leftie/green/unclean lot" are now trying to flog the idea of an ice age.

It ain't gonna happen!

Every few years there is a slight change in what's called the Atlantic Conveyer and this was attributed to El Nino. Apparently El Nino no longer happens. The resulting change that El Nino caused still does though and more recently this effect, we are told, is down to climate change .

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

"Fresh water generated will sink as it is less dense"

Er, are you sure?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

if the ice caps melt most of the water will bulge around the equator causing most of the raised water levels. the further away from the equator the lesser the the flooding all to do with the spin of the earth and gravity saw a doc on tv about

Like this post  
Housten

Likes # 0

Whenever this is mentioned I always ask about the formation of the Highlands. Although a Scot most of my education was in England and it was in geography that I found out about ( I think ) a 300/500 foot thick ice sheet that came down and covered the whole of Britain and into France. The disappearance of this ice was never accepted by "global warmers" as being of any importance, especially as I wanted to know how many millions of cars and industries there were some 10 - 12 thousand years ago. I also think that these days the greens and lib dems just want us back in the Middle Ages, so I now ignore them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today