We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's now legal to use a mobile phone whilst driving.

Colin

Likes # 0

I know it isn’t, but the amount of drivers I see daily doing this makes me think it is. They’re so blatant that they either don’t know it’s illegal or don’t care. I suspect the latter. It’s not just cars or unmarked vans either as I see at least one major utility van driver a day blathering away or texting as if they don’t have a care in the world. What’s the point of regulation without enforcement?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

johndrew

The only statistic I could find is from 2006 where there were 2.2 million convictions for speeding - maybe one of these was from your man who stood by the roadside and gauged by eye that the car was going too fast.... I don't think that we can rely on members of the public to do the job.

But we are off the topic which is related to using a mobile phone while driving and perhaps I was wrong to compare speeding to driving while using a phone and should have emphasised the similarity between using a phone and drink driving, or not wearing a seat belt, where an educative campaign coupled with police monitoring has achieved a reasonable result that is by and large accepted by society. If you can think of another way to stamp out using handheld mobile phones while driving that would be accepted by the public and accepted by the courts then I would be pleased to hear it.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

well back to speeding, yes they say its the biggest killer. well it will be if your going fast. but the problem lies more with dangerous driving more than speed. and its these that need catching the ones that think they can use both sides of the road as if they are the only ones on it. One nearly killed my Daughter at 11pm she was going round this corner at night and a crewcab pickup was the wrong side of the white line on a blind bend passing a bus, needles to say she hit it midway down the side as he managed to get is front end in he was from London a 12 months old Pickup took is rear Axel strait off. Daughter was in a Renault 19-1.9 Diesel after the accident the Renault was a write off as the front offside corner had coped it and due to the year it was a 1995 model but that is five and a half years ago, but the drivers door and cab all remained intact and door opened as normal a hole in the bottom of screen from bonnet. that’s the type that needs clobbering

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus 2 / OnePlus Two UK release date, price and specification rumours: When is the OnePlus 2...

IDG UK Sites

Why I think the Apple Watch sucks and you'd be mad to buy it

IDG UK Sites

Ben & Holly's Game of Thrones titles spoof is delightfully silly

IDG UK Sites

Mac OS X 10.11 release date rumours: all the new features expected in Yosemite successor