We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's now legal to use a mobile phone whilst driving.

Colin

Likes # 0

I know it isn’t, but the amount of drivers I see daily doing this makes me think it is. They’re so blatant that they either don’t know it’s illegal or don’t care. I suspect the latter. It’s not just cars or unmarked vans either as I see at least one major utility van driver a day blathering away or texting as if they don’t have a care in the world. What’s the point of regulation without enforcement?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

johndrew

Could you elucidate further on what you mean by a member of "a number of other professions"? I would be interested to know who they may be.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

chub_tor

As I said, it would be for the court to decide, but vehicle examiners or those considered capable of judging speed (race marshals?) may well be included.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

So you telling us that "In the event of a case of speeding, a competent person may visually judge the speed and provide evidence (either in writing or verbally depending on what the court requires) and obtain a conviction based on the estimated speed. A competent person may be a serving or ex-Police officer or any of a number of other professions where such judgement is considered adequate by the court"...... where other competent persons such as "vehicle examiners or those considered capable of judging speed (race marshals?) may well be included." They can stand by the side of the road and visually judge the speed so well that it would be accepted by the court as sufficient to get a guilty conviction in court?

In your experience how often has that occurred (ie without the use of a speed camera fixed or hand held)?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

One thing I considered for a long time that they have not utilised fitted is set of different colour lights on the roof that come on, different colour for the speed you are doing. May be I should Hide under the table for saying this. But it is safety we are talking about.

Also on Main route Signposts why not use the Compass Headings and a colour for each heading so you can navigate through a big city easy without looking at maps and routes, you would know which direction you was going.

PS you can only go so far in this country and if you go too far you fall of the edge

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

It depends on how you define the word 'use'. I recall a case of a man who took his phone out of his pocket while he was driving because it was uncomfortable, to place it on the seat next to him (but it may have been the dash, I'm unsure of that part). Unfortunately he was seen doing this by a policeman and was prosecuted for the offence of 'using' a phone..etc. Now while you can correctly argue that he should have pulled over to do this, does anyone think he would have faced prosecution if the offending article was a bunch of keys, a lighter or a screwdriver?

Like everything else, the law is open to abuse.

WTM

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

WTM - I take your point. However, didn't the driver argue that the phone was not in use? This can be proved.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Colin- if you are referring to the same case as I was then it goes back to my original comment about the word 'use', i.e. does simply having a phone in your hand constitute using it?

WTM

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

WTM,

your answer lies in the How Much does Google Know About You? thread...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That reply should be on the having a say thread Dunno what happened there!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

chub_tor

Definitely once and possibly other times as well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer