We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's now legal to use a mobile phone whilst driving.

Colin

Likes # 0

I know it isn’t, but the amount of drivers I see daily doing this makes me think it is. They’re so blatant that they either don’t know it’s illegal or don’t care. I suspect the latter. It’s not just cars or unmarked vans either as I see at least one major utility van driver a day blathering away or texting as if they don’t have a care in the world. What’s the point of regulation without enforcement?

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

I think if a few were to be caught, prosecuted and given a higher profile in media reporting it may deter others. I loath these people who feel thatb they are so important that they can't stay out of touch for a while whilst driving. If they want to kill themselves well and good but taling others with them is quite another thing. In my view they should be severely fined. Better still a prison sentence.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

This may come as a surprise to the FE but the same difficulties in enforcement would apply if we banned the use of phones at all, by anyone in a vehicle. It may further surprise him that only one person will be driving the vehicle at a time.

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

I would say that many of the people I see who are clearly distracted - In a world of their own - are drivers who are using hands free kit. Of course strictly speaking this is quite legal but if they were involved in a serious accident, perhaps with another party losing her or her life, the records detailing the call at the time of impact would form part of the evidence, and could have very serious consequences for the hands free user.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

Don't be so patronising. The point of a total ban would be to save avoid injuries and lives, not to make things easier for the Police. Something you apparently didn't understand.

As for "It may further surprise him that only one person will be driving the vehicle at a time." I'm afraid I haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Perhaps banning smoking, which in my opinion, is just as dangerous when driving would follow next?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

For me anybody using a Phone or Drink Driving should lose there license for at least 6 years. Just having to pay fines, is not stopping them.

PS and if they are found driving in that 6 years they should spend the rest of that time behind bars

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Come to that, perhaps we should ban texting while walking on the pavement or going round the supermarket etc.

It's getting to be quite hazardous avoiding bumping into people who aren't watching where they are walking, or suddenly stop to read a message or text a reply.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

You certainly do know what I'm talking about. The ban should be on the driver and no one else in the vehicle.

IMO your idea would not achieve the goal you state.

I was no more patronising than many including you on occasion.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I see dozens of people on a daily basis who flout this law. If it were modified slightly to permit members of the public to photograph offenders in the act, ensuring a record of the vehicle registration at the same time (ideally the same photo frame or one taken immediately after), and the photos sent by e-mail giving day, date, time and place to a central authority, then action could be taken by post at minimal cost to Police. Obviously the person reporting the offence would need to provide their identity, but to support this the fine could be increased by, say, £50 which could then be paid to the individual.

It should have a triple effect: to cause those who wish to break the law to think twice, provide employment at little or no extra cost to the public purse and enable members of the public to earn a little from law breakers.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I have a Black Box camera always on them, Videos all front Traffic, so that gets them but do not know if it could be used for them using the phone

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide