We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's now legal to use a mobile phone whilst driving.

Colin

Likes # 0

I know it isn’t, but the amount of drivers I see daily doing this makes me think it is. They’re so blatant that they either don’t know it’s illegal or don’t care. I suspect the latter. It’s not just cars or unmarked vans either as I see at least one major utility van driver a day blathering away or texting as if they don’t have a care in the world. What’s the point of regulation without enforcement?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

so how are you going to enforce it? I agree with your comments. but who is going to stop it. It's a pity that the public cannot do something about it

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

To be a litle pedantic about it your heading is correct, with the proviso that it is being used hands free. However I agree with your observation that there are numerous instances of car, van and truck drivers all holding a phone to their ear as they drive. And Woodchip is right, how do you police it on a large scale? Once upon a time it was acceptable practise to drive without wearing a seat belt and also to have several drinks before driving but national campaigns on TV, newspapers, bill boards etc. made it socially unacceptable to do so. We need a similar campaign for hand held mobile phones in vehicles.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

It needs the police to have a blitz on it for a while and push then through the courts, it's only when they start getting hit in the pocket do ignorant people like this start to take notice.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"how do you police it on a large scale?"

In 2006, there were 170,000 convictions for driving while using a mobile phone. The following year over 185,000 motorists were prosecuted. The likelihood is that millions of drivers get away with it however, because Police must catch you in the act of using the phone.

Of course the real answer to the problem is to ban the use of phones in moving vehicles altogether. If this was to happen the world wouldn't come to an end, and a lot of people would avoid being injured or killed in phone-related traffic accidents.

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

I sound my warning instrument if I see it. Maybe the other person will think there has been a near miss.

Is this the way forward?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Colonel Graham

"Is this the way forward?"

I hardly think so - it's likely to distract an already distracted driver even more.

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

Oh, come on!

Are you saying a police siren pulling the driver over is adding to the danger?

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

and of course unnecessary use of an horn is illegal so it would be your luck to be the one pulled over.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Oh, come on!

A police siren is an entirely different thing, and in any case, no police driver would use a siren when stopping a motorist for use of a mobile phone. You've been watching too many TV cop dramas.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

This was reported in our local paper after a recent Police crackdown.

Driver using 2 Mobiles

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen