We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Does any one suspect their mail..

TonyV

Likes # 0

...is not being delivered? I get the distinct impression that the post here is delivered if the Postman/lady deems it necessary so to deliver! There are several days when no mail at all is delivered and then a batch is delivered. I was expecting some mail today that was posted in Bath on Saturday to be delivered here, some fifty miles away, bearing in mind it was sent "First Class",(which is a bit of a misnomer!", 'cos there is nothing first class about it.) So far it has not been delivered. Equally so, another missive should have been delivered today from 40 miles away in the opposite direction, that also has not been delivered.

I merely ask the question here, to see what the general feeling is, but have no intention of writing to the PO because as others on this Forum have said it is a waste of time.

I find it amazing that with all the sophistication that is now employed in the sorting and delivery of mail, that such a bitches breakfast can be made of it. It seems that when they changed from two deliveries a day to one a day way back when, the system fell in to disrepair.

There is certainly no way that one can rely on the system that is nowhere near as good as it used to be. I suppose that is progress!!

Bleat over!

TonyV

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Last year I felt this way, I lived in a small estate that was behind locked gates, and post would arrive in fits and starts, so I was of the opinion that if there was only post for one property the was no point in the postie trying to remember the code for the gate.

Now I live somewhere else, on an estate with a shared mail box. There's fresh post every day, so the postie must deliver daily...

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

"Several days when no mail is delivered" Lucky you!!

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Since end of April 2 invoices have failed to arrive and more importantly Hospital Appointment. Anymore nad I will be reporting it to the sorting office.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

I've been having that feeling for over a year but it got worse during the snow and has never recovered. In the last 14 months 5 items of post have gone missing, 4 of them were low value small packages and one would have been a largish package (the replacement was). I often buy items from the same suppliers and pay for 1st class post only for it to arrive any time up to 5 days after and this now happens on a regular basis.

We often get post delivered for the same house number but the next street (with a totally different name) and occasionally have items for a similar sounding street but with a different postcode 10 miles away.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Yimbo

I think the point is that the people who have posted mail expect it to be delivered in a reasonable space of time. I certainly have no no feelings regarding when the PO will be delivering something now, I just hope that it will eventually get delivered.

I am pleased it is not just me thinking there is a problem! I have to say I have heard some frightening things where, money/cheques have been sent and that on receipt the enclosure has been missing! OK, I acknowledge that money is supposed not to be sent, but it does and measures should be taken to safeguard it. After all, what happens if parcels go missing with something moderately valuable in them? Who takes responsibility for that, the sender or the deliverer? It will almost certainly not be the deliverer.

TonyV

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Yes, I get exactly the same feeling that mail is being "stored" until there is sufficient quantity to justify a delivery out here in the sticks.

I'll never be able to prove it though and putting in a complaint will mean that no mail will get delivered - ever!

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

In our area the PO have been using a different method for delivery. I am not sure of all the details but it consisted of postmen setting out with a wheeled trolley and having to complete psrt of their delivery by a prescribed time. They were scheduled to meet a van which would offload more post to be delivered to the rest of the round. If they did not arrive at the drop-off point on time, the van left and the mail was returned to the sorting office to be delivered the next day. There ewould be days when we got no post, which scarcely ever happened previously.

The postmen are now back on their bikes and we seem to be back to the old system. So if you are looking for a cheap trolley, you know here to go.

Like this post
passing through

Likes # 0

The way Royal Mail are struggling with dwindling mail and lower profits. You would think it would be more cost effective to deliver mail to none business addresses 3 times a week. Round A would have deliveries Monday,Wednesday and Friday, while round B would have the other 3 working days.

No one is really desperate to have a delivery, every day. It would cut down the costs for Royal Mail and give a better service for business customers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...