We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bye Bye Weekly bin collections!

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

That's it The government has told the media "focus on ways of making England a "zero waste" country"

Well ive seen lots of people all up and down the country where they have their bins emptied once a fortnight and yes its good for Recycling! BUT what a mess the streets are? there is rats/mice and all other sorts of vermin tearing the bags open and living next to the houses and lets not forget about all the rubbish in the streets..Tut Tut

READ HERE

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I caught a discussion about fortnightly collections on TV/radio recently where someone alleged that fortnightly collections forced an increase in recycling as householders had to sort their waste to survive the two weeks.The only way this could reasonably labelled forcing is if the householders cannot be bothered to recycle and couldn't fit all waste into a standard wheelie bin.Our council do provide a larger bin to large households/disabled etc,and we made the international news when our council prosecuted someone for having an overfilled bin as the lid was unable to be fully closed.We also have several businesses that operate a wheelie bin cleaning service so I've not had problems with the bin attracting unwanted pests.When the wheelie bins were introduced,there was a noticable increase in fly-tipping(popular dumping point is a couple hundred yards away)but once a few locals had been prosecuted(left an envelope with his name & address on inside the rubbish he'd dumped)this reduced,and the council has a fly tipping clean up squad that quickly removes the rubbish.After several years of adaptation to the collections(initially,just 2 wheelie bins and now 2 wheelie bins/2 coloured bags/black box)the only complaints are about the council delivered collection callenders with the wrong dates on,so delivered corrected callenders then collected the various bins/boxes/bags on an entirely different day to both callenders.The Binmen no longer leave the streets looking like a landfill site after they've emptied the wheelie bins,partly because the bins are no longer left out overflowing and partly (possibly)because they've become accustomed to handling the bins.My only minor issue is the pavements are often impassable as full/emptied bins get left blocking access,sometimes for several days.Once over,I often saw folks with a sweeping brush sweeping the pavements/gutters outside their homes,now its more common to see heaps of black refuse sacks stacked under a rear window or behind a shed than see an unpaid person taking pride in the appearance of their street by sweeping it occasionally.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Pine Man

"the peelings from a pineapple and a mango. Chicken bones, banana skins"

These particular items would not be in our general rubbish bin, but in the Waste Food bin. I know many places don't have these yet ,but when you consider that they are 21 litres in size, it shows how much food is expected to be thrown away. As I said before we normally only put in 1 small bag of waste each week but the bins would probably hold 6 or 7 bags if filled up. The council collects these every week and has a special vehicle, with 3 or 4 men, doing this job.

When you think about it most councils DO collect every week - Rubbish one week, Recycle the next, so they would need extra crews and vehicles to even collect just the rubbish weekly.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

A good compost heap will deal with lots of food waste if it is properly used.

Careful sorting of all other packaging should keep down the waste. We have 3 bins and the garden waste is taken and composted by the council for their parks and gardens.

Food waste is minimal if you eat what you buy.

Somebody has to pay if we go back to weekly and I don't want bigger bills at the moment.

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

Isn't a waste disposal device installed beneath the kitchen sink for grinding up organic leftovers a viable addition to the programme? A reasonable rebate, like the transition from incandescent to flourescent, would foster participation.

Jobs will be created for plumbers and electricians. Organic matter left in bins to rot for a fortnight will decrease. Seeing food($) go down the drain may help us be frugal with our purchasing power.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Food Waste Facts

Appalling waste.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

peterco99

Only vegetable food waste should be pit in a compost.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"Peter99co" Do you have any facts - details - of how they measured all that waste? Or are we just supposed to believe what we are told?

This is a quote from part of a report - "no guarantee is provided in respect of the information presented"end quote.

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

It was not until reading the media coverage of this story that I even realised that for some, it is considered normal practice to put unwrapped food waste into their black bin. How utterly disgusting!

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Like BT and others our Kitchen waste is collected weekly in a special bin. We are provided with biodegradeable bags for the purpose. Paper and kitchen waste are collected weekly with general waste and recyclables on alternate weeks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Can flip phones make a comeback? LG announces Ice Cream Smart

IDG UK Sites

Race to claim thinnest smartphone is pointless: Let's focus on the important things

IDG UK Sites

Floating hard drive offers safe storage for daredevil filmmakers

IDG UK Sites

Apple Q1 2015 financial results: Analysts predict Apple's holiday quarter sales ahead of Tuesday's...