We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bye Bye Weekly bin collections!

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

That's it The government has told the media "focus on ways of making England a "zero waste" country"

Well ive seen lots of people all up and down the country where they have their bins emptied once a fortnight and yes its good for Recycling! BUT what a mess the streets are? there is rats/mice and all other sorts of vermin tearing the bags open and living next to the houses and lets not forget about all the rubbish in the streets..Tut Tut

READ HERE

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have two bins. One for recycling glass, plastic, cardboard, paper etc and the other for true waste.

I have a fortnightly collection with each bin collected alternately and I can honestly say that neither of the bins has been full to overflowing and, in fact, the one that usually contains the most is the recycling bin. The bins shut properly and I have never noticed any smell or had any problems with rats/mice or flies.

In summary I have no problem whatsoever with fortnightly collections and, when we are supposed to be having cut backs on public expenditure, think it would be wrong to even reconsider weekly collections.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

It may be wrong but was promised in the Conservative manifesto. So yet another U-turn.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Similar to Pine Man.

My bins are rarely more than half full. Just put out my recycle bin this morning and it was unusually fairly full because of the packaging from a new vacuum cleaner. If I do have large boxes I can stand them alongside the bin and they will be taken.

As to the rubbish bin, many people blame the fact that they have children for the full bins. I can see that if they have nappies etc to dispose of that they may have more but when you see TV reports you often see people putting bags in their bins that are full of air and consequently take up lots of room. Just squeezing the bags do expel excess air makes a huge difference. In families with older children I really can't see that the amount of rubbish generated should be very much more than smaller households.

We also have a waste food collection bin which is emptied weekly but we usually only have one small(15X10") bag to put in it. Waste such as vegetable peelings can be composted, but even if we don't we still mostly only fill one bag. We waste very little food, nothing like the 30% or so which is reported to be the norm!

We have a separate bin for garden waste which we have to pay extra for.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Pine Man.

Maybe there is only the 2 of you at home and I will agree fortnightly is not a hardship.

Now my daughter has 3 kids and fortnightly is a nightmare.Bins are always overflowing and the waste bin in particularly in the summer are full of maggots and flies.

Now if you have 4 kids you are allowed an extra bin which I would think would be extremely useful.

I think waste bins should be emptied weekly and other bins fortnightly.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I think one of the problems caused by not having weekly bin collections, and that has been overlooked, is the potential effect on child health and the NHS. Waste that is left to rot in bins is a well recognised breeding ground for disease; in common with refuse sites. Flies, foxes and vermin are attracted to bins containing such waste. No child in the UK would be allowed to play on a refuse site but they are allowed to play near and around bins; especially where parents have very small children, or are concerned for their safety, and wish to keep them close.

I wonder how long it will be before we see some variant 'bug' picked up from such a source and transmitted in, say, school, playgroup or kindergarten which causes another outbreak that depletes resources.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

I am sorry to raise this - BUT WHO CREATES RUBBISH? It is not the householders it is the manufacturers of the products we buy! To a large extent I have no problem with that except councils seem to think that householders produce ALL the refuse whereas they only dispose of what they have "purchased". Is it not time that manufacturers were started to be charged for this? Why is it always us householders who are blamed for producing all the refuse? Personally I do not see why all councils do not have weekly collections and as for the argument that having fortnightly collections produces more re-cycling - this leaves me completely baffled. Although there is just my wife and myself we would not produce more - or less - refuse if it was collected weekly or fortnightly whether or not it was to be re-cycled. so why do these councils keep on and on and on about how fortnightly collections produce less refuse and more re-cycling? As a pensioner I must be being thick and stupid or is it a case of councils/councillors doing "The Kings New Clothes"?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I now live on a site with a central main rubbish dumpster, that's emptied when it's full, so this doesn't really affect me, but from experience last year I can confirm that if a family is careful fortnightly bin collections are no problem whatsoever.

First priority is to cut down on food waste. There's two prongs of attack here a) don't buy food you're not going to eat, so be disciplined when you shop and don't buy short dated reduced products just because they're a bargain, and b) any food that is wasted double bag it before you put it in your bin.

Many of the people on our site are astonishingly lazy and I see loads of food just dropped straight into their bins, not bagged or anything, and they have bins with loose lids so the rats and foxes just knock the bin lids off and help themselves, which usually means they knock the bin over in the process.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Much waste is as a result of bad Housekeeping and lack of knowledge.

Buying things that are not needed. Throwing things out before they need to be. Maybe the current financial crisis will make people more careful in the way we spend.

As to packaging.

We as a Nation, not you and I, refuse to buy goods that are not perfect, so the Retailers demand that they be packaged in a manner that will get them to us that way. If we were prepared to pay the same for a odd shaped fruit as a perfectly shaped one, or a bag of biscuits with the occasional broken one in it, then much of the packaging could be ditched.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"BT" Try asking your council/MP/WRAP where their waste fig comes from and they can not or will not tell you. I doubt more than a handful of people have read "WRAP" handouts . Think about it - they say circa 33% waste - thats ave - you throw less someone has to throw more. So how many go to the supermarket pay £100 and get home and throw £33 in the bin. If it is "Kids" that waste all that food - lower the handouts.We never wasted food as kids - not even the peelings Just some items from "WRAP" quote 82,000 whole dessert cakes and gateaux every day and 300,000 unopened packets of crisps and 700,000 unopened packets of chocolate and sweets.

How many of you have EVER thrown away unopened items as above?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Having read the above posts I would like to add some more to my earlier one.

I have just checked my waster bin and it contains food wrappings that cannot be recycled. Yoghurt pots, the peelings from a pineapple and a mango. Chicken bones, banana skins and toiletry wrappings. The bin is about half full and due for collection tomorrow.

My household comprises two adults and we have medium sized bins. Smaller and larger ones are available. The large ones are twice the size of mine and would certainly cope with a family's waste.

I was horrified to read that up to a third of purchased food is disposed of and can honestly say that I cannot remember ever throwing any unopened food away. I am sure many of us in this forum will say the same which means that some households are throwing up to a half away!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......