We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Music

Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

What do you like? , and where should music go now?

Ct

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's doing just fine after the disastrous '80s decade.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

New! - pre 1800 for me please.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"pre 1800" Well I took up music last year on bass and I have to say there's nothing truly new, I've been doing some of the Bach suites written for cello, but they work on bass too, and in the Rock School grade 2 book there is a piece that is so baroque in it's sound, it could have been written by Bach himself!

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Please, please bring back the days of the Big Band with 5 saxophones, 4 trumpets, 4 trombones, a great drummer who could double on a vibraphone, a double bass, a piano, a guitar and a man waving a stick in front. Will we ever again hear the precision of Stan Kenton, Duke Ellington, Count Basie and our very own Ted Heath, Jack Parnell and Ken Mackintosh?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

This old Kronenbourg ad from 1664 proves that nothing is new... Baggy Trouswers

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...silent 'w' y'know.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

No doubt music will continue to go in lots of different directions - as it has for generations.

The important thing is that we all have music we like, regardless of what others might say about it.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

FE

Ty

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What will be interesting, and I won't be around to hear it, is:

Which Music, published during the last 100 years, will be played, reproduced or re-recorded, when all those who listened to the original performance are long dead.

For example, we are now able to listen to that original Performance as performed, which was not possible 100 years ago. How will that affect the longevity of certain Performers and/or their music.

For example: I know of several recreations of the Glen Miller Band but none of Charlie Koontz. There are recreations of The Rat Pack, but there appears to be little desire to recreate the Jazz Bands of the Harlem era in the 20's.

In other words. Which of todays music is ephemeral?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You'll never known until a half century has passed by, by which time most of us will have passed by...:(

There will always be a desire for live performances, just because we can record doesn't end the desire to feel a live performance. Look at the proliferation of tribute bands around, they're only doing the same thing as the philharmonic orchestras are doing with the classical music.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia