We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

£25,000 a year?

Cymro.

Likes # 0

link text"David Cameron has repeated his determination to impose the cap in a bid to tackle the 'dependency culture"

So could you live on £25,000 tax free per year? No doubt many of you live on a great deal less than that. Apparently the figure of 25K has been chosen as it is the average wage in the UK.

My argument has always been that it is not high social security benefits that are the problem but people working in jobs that do not pay anything like the national average.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Condom

The bad news - for you - is that the UK population is ageing. Over the last 25 years the number of people aged 65 and over increased by 1.7 million. Over the same period, the percentage of the population aged under 16 decreased from 21 per cent to 19 per cent. By 2034, 23 per cent of the population is projected to be aged 65 and over compared to 18 per cent aged under 16.

As for all those babies you want to be born...

The birth rate fell slightly in 2009, but prior to that it had risen steadily over ten years. Around 600,000 babies are born each year in England and Wales, still not enough to adequately support the numbers of old people in the decades to come. The average age of the population now stands at 38.4 years by the way.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

There are very few jobs in this area that pay over £20,000PA yet I see lots of new cars/houses bought & sold,even the estate I live on which is ranked as one of the poorest in the area has several new cars per owned home and there's even quite a few have cars outside that will've cost about the same as the ex-local authority house.A walk about the estate early evening reveals scores have 42" or larger TV's and to the passer-by,they would find it hard to accept this areas rating of deprived.

I would hope this figure of £26,000PA maximum includes rent/council tax and any/all of the extra costs of living,rather than as some of you appear to be thinking that this will be just the cash in hand payments to claimants and they get additional benefits paid for rent etc.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Beta - "What a laugh.. £25,000 Tax Free.

As an Employed Citizen to take home £25,000 PA Cash, you need to be earning in excess of £35,000 PA."* *"What a laugh.. £25,000 Tax Free."

Yes I know what you mean.

I'm only on a few pence more than the minimum wage and so am on aprox £13,000 and that's before the taxman takes income tax and NI out of my wages.

I think that the £25,000 limit is fair.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

FE Exactly the point I was trying to make albeit not very succinctly. We need kids, the more the merrier. As a side issue and a little off topic I was teaching one of my Thai classes about family trees and as an example to help them I drew up my own family tree. I must have taught them well as one said, Mr Gordon (sounding like Condom hence my moniker)"If your son does not have a boy then there will be no more ** left when he dies as all your other family around the world are girls."

I had never realised that before and as my son is now 40 and showing little inclination to have kids then my family line will indeed be wiped out when he dies. Perhaps I should have done more in support of my own argument.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Can flip phones make a comeback? LG announces Ice Cream Smart

IDG UK Sites

Race to claim thinnest smartphone is pointless: Let's focus on the important things

IDG UK Sites

Floating hard drive offers safe storage for daredevil filmmakers

IDG UK Sites

Apple Q1 2015 financial results: Analysts predict Apple's holiday quarter sales ahead of Tuesday's...