We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

£25,000 a year?

Cymro.

Likes # 0

link text"David Cameron has repeated his determination to impose the cap in a bid to tackle the 'dependency culture"

So could you live on £25,000 tax free per year? No doubt many of you live on a great deal less than that. Apparently the figure of 25K has been chosen as it is the average wage in the UK.

My argument has always been that it is not high social security benefits that are the problem but people working in jobs that do not pay anything like the national average.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Oh how cynical we have become!

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, woudld they stil pay council tax, which could also be used as a reason not to pursue work?

I'm for helping too, but also for trying to get those who can realistically work to do so. There are a few people with "bad backs", I'm sure, but many with bad backs (no inverted commas), and related conditions such as depression.

There are many other people and organizations depriving the country of billions, which th egovernment are unable or unwilling to do anythign about, but mayeb asking a few people if they can open a screw top jar probably isnt the answer.

Just my disordered, semi informed thoughts.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

As I understand it the figure of £26,000 is the maximum that would be paid to a family in one year, not (as some of you seem to think) the amount that would be paid to one person.

It doesn't mean that every family would qualify for the maximum, and it certainly doesn't mean that an individual would. It is calculated that the average family on benefit will lose £93 a week under the new rules, and around 50,000 households will be affected. That means a saving for the public purse in a full year of just under £242 million.

Or have I got it all wrong?

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Yes, Forum Editor as you understand it.!!!

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Comparisons with the average wage should not overlook the fact that a high percentage of families have two earners. Also, other benefits may apply such as working rax credit, child benefit etc.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

I would love to see a detailed breakdown of the benefit claimed to give a family weekly income of £500 per week tax free ?

Give that the indicative weekly ammounts of benefit would be approximately as listed here

http://www.focusondisability.org.uk/brates-1.html

it should also be noted that many of these benefits listed here are not in fact tax free ?

Cheers HC

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

ßeta

"Yes, Forum Editor as you understand it.!!!"

What's that supposed to mean? Perhaps you'll elaborate, or then again perhaps you won't.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Then you need to throw into the equation the fact that we need lots of young kids to be born in order to lower the average population age so we have more earners supporting us old folks. Many fling their hands up in horror at the high level of teenage pregnacies but personally I don't really care where these kids come from as long as they keep being born. Of course they could decide to kill all us old folks off at say 80 and do it that way. I think at the moment I prefer the alternative.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Condom - The number of teenage pregnancies will not help you in your old age. The parents are more likely to be on benefits than self supporting and therefore you will be paying for them and not the other way around. See this Teenage pregnancy factsheet

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Yes Woolwell but we still got the kids and hopefully they will do better if we give them a chance in life.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons Facebook Messenger is terrible, and 5 reasons it's great

IDG UK Sites

Samsung: King of the Androids (or MWC, at least)

IDG UK Sites

Inside Microsoft's universal platform for designing apps that work on PCs, tablets, phones, Xbox...

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Apple's 9 March 'Spring Forward' Apple Watch event live stream, and what to expect: Ap?......