We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

£25,000 a year?

Cymro.

Likes # 0

link text"David Cameron has repeated his determination to impose the cap in a bid to tackle the 'dependency culture"

So could you live on £25,000 tax free per year? No doubt many of you live on a great deal less than that. Apparently the figure of 25K has been chosen as it is the average wage in the UK.

My argument has always been that it is not high social security benefits that are the problem but people working in jobs that do not pay anything like the national average.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There are plenty of people earning less than that, that still manage to afford to pay their own way with kids, car & house etc.

The incentive to coming off of benefits can only be a limit of £10,000. Cruel but true.

There is also the strategy of increasing the tax free threshold to around £12,000. This gives two major benefits: 1. The excuse against getting a job after a benefit lifestyle existence is removed. 2. It's fair to say that people (the vast majority) earning less than £20,000 aren't going to deprive the exchequer of funds by stuffing their mattresses with the dosh. It'll go straight back into the economy by being spent on things that will have a 20% VAT tax take applied, with the added bonus that more jobs will be created in the retail sector, which in turn will generate more VAT and corporate tax.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...to compensate.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

What a laugh.. £25,000 Tax Free.

As an Employed Citizen to take home £25,000 PA Cash, you need to be earning in excess of £35,000 PA.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's proof that the politicos don't live on the same planet as the rest of us!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Yes, I think I could manage that. But as quick beam points out... It's not really that simple. Ii worked my backside off all my life. And hate my present situation, but there are those in society who we exclude or help?

I go for help!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

With the tax threshold solution, more would be willing to take on work rather accepting longterm life on benefits, baby breeding or the plain bone idle option of believing you're entitled to everything on a plate with no input.

I've always believed that benefit payments should never be more than 80% of the minimum wage at 40 hours. Using an unrealistic national average is, well, unrealistic!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

QB

True,I think the coalition is attempting to weed these people out. Hmmmm. It's been tried before!

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

but there are those in society who we exclude or help?

I go for help!

I don't mind helping anyone who is prepared to help themselves, However for some, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Money has a differing value depending on where you live.

A city like London needs plenty of cheap labour for it to function. But where can the low paid afford to live? They won't be able to afford market rents within the city without subsidy or afford expensive travel costs.

We could move all the low paid to other areas of the country with more affordable housing, but the employment opportunities will be less and London still needs an army of low paid workers.

(I'm not sure vat at 20% applies to housing costs. It doesn't apply to basic foodstuffs and heating attracts the 5% rate. This is where the majority of the low paids income surely goes).

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia