We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PCAdvisor has over 1000 Free Programs in Download Section

lotvic
Resolved

Likes # 1

pm (23:25)

Been looking around the new site and am impressed by Downloads Section there are 2,515 Software Downloads and among them 52 pages of Freeware. Over a 1,000 free programs :) ClickHere

Excellent, saves me a lot of hunting about looking for safe downloads. Has anyone else had a browse through them yet?

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 1

Good link.Bookmarked for future perusal.

Like this post  
Simsy

Likes # 1

I haven't for a long time, but when I first started computing, and became a member of this site, back in early 2001, I had a folder on my harddrive which I named, "Downloads from PCAdvisor". I didn't know where else to go fro free sueful software!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 1

Thanks. A couple of times I have looked through and have been impressed but a number of the stuff I have already but I think I will have another look as I have not looked for a while lately.

Jason

glad sch is finished now for me. Cannot wait for collage:)

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

Jason, I don't remember ever doing even one more collage after I left 'sch' but Good Luck with it anyway!

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

They have also got Linux software as well. Some of the programs I have never heard of, but well done PCA for thinking of us minority users.

I am just wondering the value of offering those programs though, because there are a couple of things that come to mind, firstly most distributions have lots of programs already in their repositories that are tailored for the particular distribution, Ubuntu has has over 30,000 packages, also they warn people against installing off the official repository because there is the security issue of installing programs from external sources, I am not accusing PCA of being insecure, but it is one of the strengths of Linux is that there is no need to install anything from outside.

I had a look though the list and most of the programs are already in the Ubuntu repository or the ones I haven't heard of have an equivalent program in the repository.

The Linux distributions is a really useful list, thanks for publishing them, hopefully it will give people an insight that there is more around than just Microsoft Windows.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback