We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Archbishop of Canterbury has his say

Cymro.

Likes # 0

link text

So what do you think of this then?

Personally I think he has as much of a right to speak his mind as any of us. The Archbishop of Canterbury has warned that the government is committing Britain to "radical, long-term policies for which no-one voted".

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Pineman100

The British people did NOT vote for a coalition - they voted for their local Parliamentary representatives, nothing more, nothing less.

It was the Party leaders who decided to have a coalition - not the electorate.

As the leading Party, the Tories could have governed as a 'minority' and followed their promised agenda. Only if they couldn't carry the House with them would fall.

Sadly in terms of manifestos, it wouldn't be so bad if there hadn't been outright reversals of promises, student fees, no 'top-down' NHS changes etc.

I think the Archbishop was correct to have his say, and I might take a guess that possibly more people trust what he says than the majority of our politicians!

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

Pineman100

Actually, what the British public did vote for was a coalition

Sorry I certainly did not see put a X here for the coalition party so your statement is incorrect

Coalitions are always about compromise, so that's what we've got.

That is what most people had hoped for but it certainly not what we have got

A manifesto is a statement of intent based on the circumstances prevailing at the time of the election.

With a comment like that you should go into politics

The Archbishop of Canterbury has very right to speak out if he sees an injustice being carried his opinion is just as valid as the next person and is entitled to express it why the conversation went onto his thoughts on Sharia Law in the UK is a mystery to me ??

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

john 52

Whether you like it or not, it's inherent in our system that if the outcome of a General Election fails to give one party a working majority, then a coalition is the likely result.

The electorate decided that it did not want to give that majority to one party, so a coalition is what we've got. It was the electorate's voting pattern that produced it.

As regards compromise, that's exactly what we've got. The Coalition's policies were and are arrived at through compromise negotiations between the two participants.

Of course the Archbishop has as much right as any other individual to express his views on the Government. Just as I have the right to express my views on the Archbishop. And I happen to believe that he inhabits a privileged position in an ivory tower, giving him little or no qualification to speak for the people of this country.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Pineman100

Regardless of how you try to phrase it the electorate DID NOT vote for a coalition.

They got one, but not by choice - sadly, if you cannot appreciate the difference then it is futile to discuss it further.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

The Coalition's policies were and are arrived at through compromise negotiations between the two participants.

So far I have seen very little evidence that the LD have got anything from this coalition other than a ride in ministerial cars, a few television appearances to support policies that the government would prefer to share the blame for and a large drop in there core support.There voters are really pleased with there parties stance on University fees. But this is what you say the voting public wanted when they cleverly cast there votes ?

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

"Whether the Archbishop of Canterbury or the man who sweeps my road - both are equally entitled to hold an opinion, and to express it here if they like, without being 'aimed' at for their pains."

Nonsense, even you stuck up for me when i pointed out a while back, on a similar subject, that people should offere sensible, relevant, informed opinions.

You keep on about him not being an expert on running a country. Would you like to give me a comprehensive lost of people who are?

Now, folks, again: Whether Dr Williams was voted for or not is not relevant. How amny of you witter on on here every day about political issues? Quite. But you have no expertise, just opinions. So why don't you just be quiet, if Williams should, hmmm?

And no, as said above, numerous times, no on voted for a coalition.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Oops. I mean "irrelevant"

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

No, hang on, cancel my correction, im cracking up, it seems.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"But you have no expertise, just opinions. So why don't you just be quiet, if Williams should, hmmm?"

We are all(including you) simply expressing our opinions, and of course you have absolutely no idea whether any of us have any expertise or not. If you can't recognise the difference between the Archbishop of Canterbury pronouncing on political policies in the mass media, and a few people exchanging views in a web forum I suggest a pause for reflection.

Suggesting that we should "just be quiet" is indicative of someone who is attaching rather more importance to this than it warrants. I'm sure the Archbishop is less worried about defending his image than you appear to be

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

FE, few have expressed opinions. Few have posted anything other than glib asides taht attest to their knee jerk anti religion views. Thats whats going on here, they dont care if Williams is talking sense or not.

How is it ok for you to comment who on here has certain expertise (as you have done) but not me? How is Williams different to anyone else? You have gone to great pains to demonstrate he is not.

If you cannot stay consistent thread to thread, post to post, may i suggest a pause for reflection?

Anyway, evidently you are not interested in debate. And obviously im oh so silly for ever expecting otherwise.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance