We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Archbishop of Canterbury has his say

Cymro.

Likes # 0

link text

So what do you think of this then?

Personally I think he has as much of a right to speak his mind as any of us. The Archbishop of Canterbury has warned that the government is committing Britain to "radical, long-term policies for which no-one voted".

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Sorry, I've had soem connection problems.

No, I am not saying that everyone who disagrees has not understood him, but certainly a huge number of them. Just imagine the tone of the response you wold have written if I had asked you if you were making a similarly silly generalization!

I agree with much of natdoor's post.

Interesting to see all the considered responses since I was last here. I will now waste my time on the authors of those responses in making two points.

Firstly, it does not matter a jot that Williams was not elected. He is not asking for your vote, he is a man giving an opinion.

Secondly, knee jerk anti religiousness (?) is hardly an argument, is it? He knows rather a lot about "myth" and those of you who have bothered to follow him at all will know that. Alas, I should expect nothing more than the misunderstandings of the nature of the religious belief of Williams and other intelligent Christians.

And don't you think being the Archbishop of Canterbury is somewhat different to governing a country?

I can cope with a lack of rigour from people who never show any, but I can't quite understand it from those who just have a blind spot where religion is concerned.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

The comments made by religious "Icons" have no real relevance to polotics.

I better re read the rules, this kind of post was banned in the old day's :))

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I'm not sure whether to be complemented or insulted by your engagement with me, FE, as opposed to all the "meaningless", glib, knee-jerk anti religious posts which fail to even attempt to to say anything of substance.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr:

Just an opinion, and remember I'm new / old here, no need to pick a fight really, you wouldn't be one of my old protaganists from "Another" place would you?

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I wasn't refering to you, Crosstrainer2, and I dont think i am aware of you from anywhere else. Personlly, I use different names on many forums, tho a few ares till combinations of my name and date of birth.

I just came by to post something else I remembered when I saw your post.

On Newsnight last night, they asked if Williams was actually right in pointing out that we did not vote for these policies. The "answer" started with words along these lines:

"Whilst the coalitions health and education reforms did not appear in either parties manifesto...".

So, let me stop you right there, Newsnight folks, as now you have your answer.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Or maybe I should have said I was not refering "specifically" to you.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

Okay, I think we have met before, and please remember that I returned here to avoid conflict. Simply to communicate with others.

CT

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I know the name Crosstrainer from here, but nowhere else. There's nothing personal I assure you. I was aiming at a number of people.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I was aiming at a number of people.

Goodness! That's fighting talk, isn't it? 'Aiming' at people isn't what this should be about - it's not that kind of discussion, or at least it shouldn't be.

Whether the Archbishop of Canterbury or the man who sweeps my road - both are equally entitled to hold an opinion, and to express it here if they like, without being 'aimed' at for their pains. Dr.Williams is a priest, a very senior one admittedly, but a priest nevertheless. As far as I'm aware that doesn't make him an expert on governing a country. His opinions will be much publicised because of his position in life, and that's fine, as long as nobody tries to pretend that he has any kind of special insight.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

The Archbishop states that the Coalition is pursuing policies that the British public didn't vote for.

So far as I'm aware, the British public didn't vote for the Archbishop, either. If he wants to influence Government policy, he'd be better off standing for Parliament himself.

Actually, what the British public did vote for was a coalition. That's why we have this arrangement - we created it with an indecisive election outcome. And in voting for a coalition, we have made it impossible for either participating party to carry through its manifesto pledges unsullied by compromise. Coalitions are always about compromise, so that's what we've got.

However, Governments of every hue have always pursued policies that didn't feature in their election manifestos. A manifesto is a statement of intent based on the circumstances prevailing at the time of the election. No Government can allow itself to be hidebound by this, otherwise it would have absolutely no ability to respond to events (to use one of Harold Macmillan's favourite words).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features