We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Archbishop of Canterbury has his say

Cymro.

Likes # 0

link text

So what do you think of this then?

Personally I think he has as much of a right to speak his mind as any of us. The Archbishop of Canterbury has warned that the government is committing Britain to "radical, long-term policies for which no-one voted".

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"..when Bono flies across the world in his private jet to talk about dealing with poverty."

Or even when the Cabinet of millionaires keep telling us we're all in this together??

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Archbishops of Canterbury seem to feel that they should occasionally speak out on matters of national importance, so their flock will have some kind of a moral compass to follow.

They are perfectly entitled to do it, but let's remember that they're just people, and like us they have views on how governments should do things. Otherwise they have no special insight that qualifies them to say what is right or wrong about government policies. Since time immemorial priests have seen fit to pronounce on political matters, and this one is no different.

I respect his right to express a personal opinion, for that's all it is.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

No, people who are not as bright as him just got him wrong, but nice try.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

I'm sorry, but I find your comment that " ...people who are not as bright as him just got him wrong" a classic example of how one person tries to defend another by retreating into meaningless assertions. Are you suggesting that if someone disagrees with what the Archbishop says it must mean they "not as bright as him"?

Perhaps you're not, but if you are, you might do well to reconsider. I'm quite sure the Archbishop is very bright, but so are lots of people. Being bright doesn't automatically make you an expert on what's good for a society, any more than being less than bright makes you incapable of forming an opinion on the subject.

As I've already pointed out, Dr. Williams is just a man, albeit one in a position of some influence over Christian believers. He's a priest, and he's using his public position to say what he thinks about the current government's policies. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not get carried away with the idea that he has any kind of special insight, because he doesn't.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

The Archbishop may be clever but he is unable to run his organisation to modern standards.

Women Bishops? Gays in the Church? Movement to Rome?

Maybe if he could sort out the state of the C of E he would be qualified to sort out other problems.

His choice of magazine to broadcast his views is of interest.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 1

FE

I read Joseph Kerr's 5.52 post as a response to fourm member's statement "one of the key flaws of people who don't understand the world is that they lay themselves open to misinterpretation by failing to see what others read into their words". I believe he is asserting that misinterpretation by others is not the fault of the Archbishop.

With regard to politics and religion, he is of course a member of the House of Lords and hence far more in touch with current political events than most people. I have always found it difficult to square Christian beliefs with reactionary politics.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My View is, He should Stick to what he doesn't know best. but its be like this sins Constantine

Christendom and Politics

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

He's that clever that he allows his whole life to be governed by a myth.

No way is anyone like him going to influence me one little bit. He should shut up, and stay shut up.

And what an absolute comic he was writing in. Back issues have pride of place in my toilet.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

"radical long term policies" for which no one voted,well no one voted for Christianity.?/ Augustine,that failed heretic of ancient beliefs has a lot to answer for. "he is clever"..so was "GOD" and all his minions in all their various guises,and has the "world" improved,history suggests not. "He has the right to speak"..yes he does,but let him understand that his words are spoken from the mantle of privilege and not from his alleged progenitors experience.When the "church"" in all its denominations and beliefs understand and embrace the "true" symbolism of a life in "GOD" then they may just be more than an adjunct to present day concerns. And another thing,in the west, religion tried it's "Big Society" and failed for reasons it is yet to acknowledge never mind accept.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 1

Let him speak to his flock I say. There are some sheep across the road from me who might listen.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad