We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Solar Panels "Over the top"?

Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

A neighbour has had Solar Panels fitted which entirely cover the roof tiles. I know they're good for the enviroment, but this is too much. The view from my lounge window: Solar Panels

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 1

Graham

I'm sorry, but I can't understand what you are saying - do you mean the panels on his roof are in some way affecting you?

The panels are saving emissions and should be applauded, surely?

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

It's the visual aspect I find annoying.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

And you find them more objectionable than the forest of TV aerials and satellite dishes? I could understand it if they were reflecting the sun and dazzling you but from your photo they seem no more obtrusive than blue slate tiles.

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 1

Colonel Graham from the photo you seem to be living on a quite modern housing estate so what could be more modern than solar panels? The way things are going we will all have to put up with such things. Whats more in the future there will all sorts of power saving things like wind turbines to put up with. It seems to me that this is a case of N.I.M.B.Y. Be grateful that you are living in a nice house and that others are doing their bit to save the planet even if you and I are not.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

its ok

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Wish someone would put the same on my roof.

I get free power in my caravan with a Solar panel. I would love a free electricity in the house.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

peter99co

If your roof is suitable, ie with a southern aspect, of sufficient size and not obscured from sunlight, you can have panels installed for free. The company doing so will collect most of the revenue but you can use the electricity generated and collect some money too.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

But it does take several years to break even.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Sorry but I think if you do not want to look at them, best thing is to live in the Country. As you are not going to getaway from things like that living in in little boxes all in a row

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 2

It gets me going this kind of thing, You hear them say we want clean energy ie Windmills etc as long as its not in my back yard.

How annoying

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features