We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Modern Bread - 50th Anniversary

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Are the forum breadmakers still active in producing their own bread?

As a baker by trade, it is better if you make your own, but it's a hell of a faff, a bit like home beer and wine making, you have to be very dedicated when it's so easy to just nip down to the local Co-op...

50 years of cotton wool bread

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I use a breadmaker. No hassle and get much better bread than the supermarket variety.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

I've given up with the bread making machine - despite measuring all ingredients with accuracy, I inevitably produce a brick - which although it tastes like bread, you can't get much filling in a 2" x 4" slice.

I'd love to DIY without the machine, but finding somewhere warm enough to prove is always a problem.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Covergirl

I make all my own bread four loaves at a time. Freeze three and keep one out for immediate use. Lasts about a week.

I use the airing cupboard for proving or the conservatory in the summer!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I used to make it when we lived overseas (Six families 40 miles into the bush) and the 'local' baker wasn't!!

These days I leave it to my better half as she makes excellent bread and rolls in the conventional (not a breadmaker) way. As with Pine Man, the freezer is a great storage facility and allows one large bake instead of several smaller ones which also keeps the cost down.

Another bonus, we know exactly what goes into it which is more than can be said for much of the 'mass produced' offerings in supermarkets.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I haven't got anywhere for proving hence the breadmaker. I get good results, unlike Covergirl, but it is important to use a good brand of strong flour and the right yeast. There are differences between brands of breadmaker too. I use a Panasonic.

Agree entirely about knowing what goes into it. I know that my loaves do not have additives. They probably go stale quicker but they get eaten quicker too.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Covergirl, Woolwell makes a good point. Your Flour and Yeast are critical.

It must be special Bread Making (Strong) Flour, not sufficient Gluten in Ordinary Flour to make bread that rises and stays risen.

There are many arguments about Dried Yeast, should you use it dry, or start it with a little water, or perhaps a little water & sugar mixed.

There is one more thing. Until the bread has finished baking, no draft should disturb it or it will fall and become a brick!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Like Woolwell, I also use a Panasonic with great results. Using the timer and waking to the smell of freshly baked bread is wonderful.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

There are many arguments about Dried Yeast

Most of the dried yeast sold these days is micro-encapsulated and is designed to be used directly in bread machines and not pre activated. It is also OK for hand breadmaking but if you can get fresh yeast this is best.

As said its important to use a good strong flour with a high protein content, preferably around 12%. I find that the strong Breadmaking flour sold in Lidl is particularly good, with a high protein content and also has Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) added as an improver. Tesco's is also good - the one in the pink packet.

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

"Another bonus, we know exactly what goes into it which is more than can be said for much of the 'mass produced' offerings in supermarkets."

I buy a french stick pretty much every day from the co-op. What exactly should I be worrying about?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

dagblat

You can start with this, but if you want more information do a Google search under 'bread additives'.

link text

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Q3 2014 financial results: Apple announces record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer