We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A recent thread about potatoes

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

got me think about something that has puzzled me for a while. Perhaps one of our potato farming forum members knows the answer.

Jersey Royals.

When I was but a stripling, and Forum Editing was not even a gleam in my eye, I used to look forward to the Jersey Royal season. Those delicious little kidney shaped tubers that came coated with a fine layer of Jersey dust were a delight, boiled with their skins on and generously anointed with butter. You could make a meal of the waxy little beauties.

Now I see bags labelled 'Jersey Royal potatoes', but the contents are not Jersey Royals - they're very ordinary looking, and tasting, rather floury things. From Jersey they may be, but Royals they are not.

What's up doc?

I know the story of how Jersey Royals came about, by the way, I just want to know what happened to them.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Probably like our royalty, gradually getting watered down with intermarriage with commoners. I know what you mean about the taste, unforgettable.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Maybe your mother was better at cooking potatoes than you are! I had a conversation with an old Donegal farmer this morning who told me that people dont know how to cook spuds properly now. I must admit I glazed over part way through his description but it involved a saucepan covered with a cloth rather than a lid and the potatoes being taken from the pot when there was still a "bite" in the middle of them then left to finish off in a cloth covered bowl. He insisted they would not be floury cooked like this - but there was a lot more to it!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

This link may be of interest. http://ecologic.eu/download/projekte/1800-1849/1802/jerseyroyalpotatoes.pdf

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Sorry here it is

http://ecologic.eu/download/projekte/1800-1849/1802/jerseyroyalpotatoes.pdf

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

FE, I agree with you, I'm certain that you're not mistaken.

They are using a higher cropping variety.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

Not sure about Jersey Royals as I don't think I've ever tasted them, but during the school holidays (many years ago) as well as snedding turips and snuffing strawberries to earn an extra bit of pocket money, we used to gather spuds for the local farmer. During our break we used to retire to the barn for a cuppa and a sarnie, in there the farmer graded the spuds we gathered on some machine or other, were the smaller spuds fell through a vibrating grate, hence separating them from the larger spuds. My Point? Don't they do that anymore? Anytime I buy potatoes in the supermarket, they're all mixed in the bag, little ones and big ones, I hate that.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I think nowadays it may be a matter of luck. A couple of weeks ago I bought some potato's described as Jersey Royals from Morrisons. They were clean and when scraped the skin fell away from them just like in the old days. We had them boiled for about ten minutes in salted water and covered with a generous whack of butter. Absolutely delicious, they brought back memories of many years ago. I went to get some more last week but sadly they were not available.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I wonder if they would have been nicer with tinned tomato's. also from a recent thread.. I've put this bit separate so the FE can delete it.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

FE i dont have a clue but the way uve just explained them has almost tempted me to go and buy some! but im on a diet lol You ever thought about selling cars? :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......