We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Electric shower -impared flow.

SparkyJack
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is the the right place for this? Perhaps we could have a DIY- General page to Ask if we here have resolved a problem - saves a lot of Googling.

Any way here goes - my daughter reported that her Electric shower has diminished flow which I deduced a coked boiler/heater. How does one clean it? I did say introduce a de-scale solution - but how? Any one done it?

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

I suffered this problem a few weeks ago. But I could detect the faint sound of running water if I put my ear to one of my cold water pipes even though I had no appliances on, it turned out to be a burst pipe at one of my neighbour’s properties and they were away for a few days. Once they returned and fixed the pipe my pressure was back up.

It might be worth checking for local leakages before calling in the plumber.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Magnetic scale inhibitors do work, although nobody is quite sure why. An inhibitor that works really well in one house might be less effective in another.

You have nothing to lose by trying one.

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 1

You dont say how old it is, these things dont last forever, perhaps its time to renew.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Shower units have there own boiler system its a heatexchanger as in a PC but Water, In hard water area the exchanger gets furred up with lime this will burn out the heater element as it is getting hotter than it should. Fit a Magnet type scaler to you mains input near to the stop cock. Some Exchanger Units can be Cleaned but it would be cheaper and more effective to fit a new one and protect it as above

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

With an electric shower, the flow rate determines the temperature.

If the flow rate has reduced, the temperature must have risen, given the same incoming water temperature and electricity input.

At this time of year, the incoming water temperature is higher than in winter and the flow rate from an electric shower is normally much improved.

The heating often comprises two discrete elements.........it may be that one of them has failed, reducing the electricity input. The flow then has to be reduced by the user to achieve the same output temperature.

Sadly, in general plumbers know as much about electricity as electricians know about plumbing.

The major shower manufacturers have their own service engineers who will be clued up on both disciplines and carry spares for their products.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Chances are it's just a blocked shower head, even in soft water areas they get gunged up.

They usually come with a tool to unscrew the spray plate - if you don't have one a pair of dividers is a good substitute, open them up, insert the points into opposing holes and unscrew the plate. Clean the back of the spray plate with a toothbrush and replace.

Alternatively, get a new head from B&Q, they are interchangable and just unscrew from the hose. The ones with the little rubber nozzles are supposedly self cleaning.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote