We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Electric shower -impared flow.

SparkyJack
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is the the right place for this? Perhaps we could have a DIY- General page to Ask if we here have resolved a problem - saves a lot of Googling.

Any way here goes - my daughter reported that her Electric shower has diminished flow which I deduced a coked boiler/heater. How does one clean it? I did say introduce a de-scale solution - but how? Any one done it?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Get a fully qualified plumber in.

Like this post  
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

My goodness thats quick Bingaleu Just finished looking up the Wallander totty Lena Endre- whilst the iron warms.

This is in fact what she will do tomorrow at my earlier suggestion and ask hime to contact me also with another problem I have. But you never know there may a simple solution [in a bottle perhaps :-}]

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If it's an instant electric shower - one that heats water from the mains - the problem may be a faulty flow valve inside the shower unit. It may also be heavy scaling inside the heating unit.

Neither of those is something you can fix yourself, so you'll need to get a shower engineer to do the work. Do not attempt to do any maintenance work inside the unit yourself.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Shower: Electric + water + human under it = Get a fully qualified plumber in

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Or maybe cheaper getting a new shower.

It normally works off the cold water mains so maybe the water company has reduced the water pressure while repairs are being carried out.

I find the water pressure drops during winter months to avoid damage to the mains.

So you get a slower flow from the shower and better flow in the summer.

Well that's my theory anyway.

Electric shower you can buy spare parts from the makers,if the unit is old the chances are that there will be no spares so cheaper to buy a new unit.

Electric showers have nothing to do with your hot water boiler so you can rule that out.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I find the water pressure drops during winter months to avoid damage to the mains."

That's not the case. Water companies have a statutory obligation to maintain specific pressures on mains water - lots of equipment relies on water being delivered at specific minimum pressures for its efficient operation. The minimum allowed is 1 bar, although many household appliances will work if the pressure is lower. Most washing machines will work on 0.5 bar for instance.

Mains pressure can rise slightly during the night, as less is drawn off for domestic use.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

A few checks here link text

I have heard similar complaints from those who live in hard water areas and the shower does suffer scale build up. One solution some people recommend is to install a magnet on the shower inlet (similar to link text - not the mains items) which helps clear the scale as well as preventing future build up.

Perhaps it is worth noting that the effect is substantiated by experiment, but how strong the magnetic field was .. But for £5 to £15 it must be worth a try and it is cheaper than a new shower - or a plumber!!

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

is she sure it's not the shower head when ours slowed used a hand held steamer and blew through. Much better afterwards.

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

I'd like to think we could trust anybody with a degree of nous not to start fiddling with water + electricity if they were unsure of what they were doing. Jack was just enquiring if there was anything obvious with a quick fix that may negate the need to call in a "fully qualified plumber" with the resultant expense.

The problem in hand could be caused by a variety of issues, the likely candidates (if daughter lives anywhere close to Jack) being limescale in heater matrix/shower head/both. The shower head can be cleaned, the matrix not. Someone who knows what they are doing could change the heater but as with a lot of things these days, it's often easier/cheaper to change the entire unit.

The flow reduction in Winter is due to the fact that the water entering the unit is colder, requiring a slower flow through the heater to reach the required temp. You'll probably find that the transition between summer/winter is the rare occassion that you'll have to fiddle with the hot/cold dial on the shower, which actually controls the flow rate through the heater matrix.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you all, the plumber is the solution- she will contact him to morrow,and hopefully remember to tell him about her old dad's problem.

John Drew The magnet suggestion is certainly viable.

I have such a device attached just above my stop cock- two lozenge shaped magnets in plastic cases that are strapped either side of the pipe.

It has been in place 20+ years and certainly works - No scale.

When I used to see such items advertised in the Saturday paper I had my doubts- but then one day I saw them on the shelf in B&Q- then I knew they must work if the DIY shed's stock them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad