We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Got your Olympics tickets?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

My son rang me to say money has been charged to his card account today, so he knows he has something. I've just been trying to look at my credit card account on-line, but the servers are running hot, and I can't get in. Obviously there are hundreds of thousands of people trying to do the same thing.

Like this post
n47.

Likes # 0

Got your Olympics tickets?

No.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

It was interesting on the BBC news this evening, where a man had requested £30k worth of tickets and had been allocated £11k worth. It seems to me that the more you requested the better chance you have of getting something. I'm not sure on that basis it has been a fair way of doing it. It also stated that you can buy what you want from Germany!! We have yet to hear whether our son has been successful, but since we haven't heard we assume he has been "unlucky".

TonyV

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I thought all the people in the London area would have been volunteering to help and get in for nothing.

I never applied at all so am not disappointed in the least. I will get a better view on telly of the things I want to see.

It looks to me to be a big rip off but I suppose that's up to the individual, if you want to see something desperately then you are going to pay. I don't remember there being all this palaver in 1948 or was it 1946?

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Bingalau

I live about 40 minutes walk from the Olympic site but I won't be volunteering, I'll probably be struggling into work on our creaky transport system. It will be interesting to see how it all copes, I'm not looking forward to it.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

No point in buying tickets in a lottery, when without all the fuss, any events on the television will do nicely. Assuming any members in our household bothers to turn the television on.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I will get a better view on telly of the things I want to see."

Of course you will, but that's not really the point as far as I'm concerned, and 1.8 million people applied for tickets, so they obviously feel the same as I do - I want to have the experience of actually being there.

My credit card account has been charged today, so I have got tickets, but I'll have to wait to see which ones.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Not sure yet, after much deliberation I decided that if I'm going, and with the travel and hotel costs for that period at a premium, I only want to see a premium blue riband final event, not a third rate beach volley ball warm up event.

So I'll wait to see if I get a track and field final day ticket.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

It seems that tickets are also available by booking for a few days with Thomas Cook. Something wrong there!

FE In reality I would have loved to have been able to just up and buy a ticket for a certain event but realised right from the start that it would either cost me an arm and a leg, or I would have to be in the know.

If tickets are available in Germany they must also be available in other countries such as France and Spain etc... It may be worth taking a holiday and picking up a few whilst there.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

FE 1.8 Mill out of a pop of 60+ mill. Guess the majority really couldn't care less.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Kevscar

At the risk of being pedantic, you cannot quote 60 million as your 'base'.

Children will not be purchasing, millions cannot afford time off work, millions live a long way from London and millions simply could not afford it anyway - even though all these people might be interested.

Using such simplified figures to back up your 'really couldn't care less' argument is not really feasible.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED