We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Abuse at care home.

Cymro.

Likes # 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13611089

I was a little surprised that this had not already come up on this forum. Anyway what are we to make of this dreadful story?

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

Sorry mised out on the linklink text

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

'Anyway what are we to make of this'

All organisations have there bad 'apples' why expect any more from care workers?

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

I hope all the people responsible for this dreadful cruelty to patients, finish up doing a good long jail term, where all the other jail inmates know who they are and why they are there.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Very often care workers are employed without proper training or qualifications, and so will attract exactly the wrong kind of people. Then, put them in a situation where they are given 'control' over others, with non-existent supervision, and it's a recipe for bullying.

It doesn't only happen because of the new 'private' care homes, it also used to happen in the old 'asylums' when under the department of health - it's similar bullies in both cases.

Again, we hope the majority of care homes and staff are what we expect and this is just one of a tiny minority of cases - but it must be ensured that those responsible are properly prosecuted, and this also means those in charge of the Company and those in CQC who ignored the warnings.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

And what is to be done to the people that run these Homes, pay their employees the Minimum Wage, then expect them to work antisocial hours and unpaid overtime, launder their own uniform and fine them for minor infractions of Company Policy? Then expect them to shower 4 people in 20 minutes.

Diddy Squat, that's what.

Don't get me wrong, nothing excuses the behaviour exibited, but it might be worth while considering how many of those "Attendants" got there.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

*wee eddie *

Do you think that these Oafs will try and defend themselves by claiming that having to wash their own underwear turned them into Thugs.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

It was a horrendous watch and you have to wonder at the so called careworkers inhumanity. I was pleased to read that the Police had arrested 4 of them after watching the programme.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The only people that you will get to work for the Slave Wages that the Owners offer are those that can find no other employment.

OK, there are a few Saints that really Try and Care, but would you work, roughly 60 hours, backshift, for a little over £200 a week. I think not.

In many cases the "Care" Home Owners have degraded the Status of their Staff to such a level that only the weird and the desparate will work for them.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Look beyond the obvious, to try and find out why these things happen!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Having seen the program, it makes you think as to what the world is coming to. Here we had a case of a whistle-blower who tried his hardest to make contact with the management and the regulator, and he was totally ignored.

There is no point in the regulator or the management of these homes stating that they are very sorry, because very sorry is a total blank word when you are or have been abused, possibly as a daily event, as shown in the program.

All to often it is becoming more easy for people to falsify records, and again it showed it in the program. There is no point in the regulator stating that everything seemed well, on records alone, when a whistle-blowers comment are totally ignored.

All the people involved should be in investigated, and that should include the regulator and his staff, plus the management and staff. And if need be, the appropriate actions taken.

I would also suspect that this is by no means an isolated case, but happens only to frequently and daily in some establishments. There are some very caring people out there, and I have known a few who have worked in care homes and similar establishments. But how can you expect some of these more caring people to cope, when they themselves are perhaps being bullied?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do