We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

German nuclear review problems

wids001

Likes # 0

Interesting read that seems to highlight problems when needing an alternate energy supply.

link texthttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13257804

I suppose the old addage of pleasing some of the people some of the time comes to mind here!

There seems to be three alternatives here .. 1 - scare the landacape with more pylons, 2 - rethink what is a knee-jerk reaction by the German government, or 3 - go back to the dark ages!!!!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

with the size of german industry it would not cope on coal burners they have to be bonkers. then there is the pollution aspect from loads coal burning power stns.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

I tried to post a thread on this subject but gave up ing last week.

Seems like its not just Germany.

Noldi

BBC News

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

??? should be gave up waiting

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

Very commendable - but where will the electricity come from? The BBC article said that Switzerland currently gets 40% of its electricity from nuclear power. And if electric cars are going to get as popular as some people predict, (not me), there will be an even greater need for electricity production. Maybe that's why they have said that there will be 20 years to stop using nuclear power as in the next 10 years or so it becomes acceptable again.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Last time I was in Germany I was astounded by the number of wind farms. I believe some farmers have given up normal farming as these give them a good living without all the hard work. Of course we are too worried about the countryside and how it looks to worry about the environment. I can't understand why we don't concentrate on tidal power for the solution. The power of the sea is the answer.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

The power of the sea is the answer.

No it isn't with present technology.Wind farms are in the main useless as the wind rarely blows @ the correct speed(always too fast or too slow)I can view umpteen wind farms within a short distance of my PC chair,and use them to gauge when the wind might be suitable for flying my models thus note when they are standing dormant(one farm was given planning permission with conditions attached stating that any mast in-operative for a period was to be removed..one mast was in-operative for over 18mths & the company operating the farm simply stated the parts to repair it weren't available so the council just increased the "in-operative period" planning restriction instead of insisting it was removed.Its still not moved in about 3yrs now)After the Japan reactor problems,I was annoyed to read several anti-nuclear groups call for Sellafield to be shut-down immediately incase it was swamped by a tsunami or damaged by earthquake.Where the hell do they think Sellafield is,that it might get hit by either?Why can the cables passing through Germany not be buried,like they did with the majority of unsightly pylons in the UK?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Chegs. What has your answer got to do with the power of the sea?

As I see it tides are pretty reliable and regular. Not like the wind. Underwater turbines are out of sight and out of harm's way. They can probably be lifted to the surface for maintenance. I'm sure they are probably being used in some parts of the world at this moment. If not then it is about time they were.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I like the idea of tidal turbines. Yes, they will not operatre all the time, but unlike the winds, the tides are absolutely predictable. This means that fossil fueled power could be ramped up and down at planned times to take up the slack. Just off the top of my head I think the solent would be a good place to start with them. Maybe even go on to look at ocean currents. They are achieveable with current levels of technology too. The designs probably even exist on a hard drive somewhere. All that is needed is the willpower and the money to implement them.

Some may see money as a problem, but as energy from conventional means becomes more costly, tidal turbines will become more attractive. Then the money will be found. Case in point: 40 years or so ago oil was dirt cheap. You would have been laughed at in your rubber room if you had proposed the costly, complex and difficult process of extracting oil from shale. However, now its not such rediculously unvialble concept. Money has been found (and invested) in the process.

However. As sure as cats have kittens, some small but extremely loud group (possibly with their own agenda) will vehemently oppose the construction and siting of such turbines on the grounds that they will be harmfull to something-or-other that most people will have never heard of. This will mean years - if not decades - of costly public enquiries, planning meetings, appeals, protests, petitions and the whole gamut of media hype. All the while energy costs and consequences will skyrocket.

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...