We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

We are all in this together - part 3

zzzz999

Likes # 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13588114

shameful leadership being shown by the self serving cabal that is the UK CEO club.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Rick'scafe link www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13588114

When the recent near collapse of world finance took place, we were all told that 'lessons would be learned' and the world leaders would make sure safeguards were strictly adhered to. But reading reports like this (and there's some even worse), it would appear that very little as or was done about it. Some countries are still virtually bankrupt, and asking for urgent or emergency survival finance and resources.

In another few years, will we all wake up to another shock and error story, like we did a short time ago?.

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

Cameron is not doing much for us all that are all in it together.

£30,000 facelift

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Dick Tattor

For goodness sake, the flat is the official home of the British Prime Minister. If we are going to become so petty that we start complaining when he spends money on what was (by all accounts) badly-needed work to make the place presentable I despair for our country's future. We're turning into a nation sour-faced, X-factor watching, binge drinking,petty minded cynics.

Like this post
wids001

Likes # 0

Always happens, nothing new here. What are the options: A prices and income policy would be fairer, but that is not going to happen whilst the Tories are in power. Having said that it did happen before and it worked quite well.

I'm afraid that when times are hard and wages are frozen or cut it is the workers that suffer. I can only remember one time back in the early Seventies with Ted Heath's government, that prices were controlled by government legislation along with wages. At least then we knew that "we were all in it together".

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

F.E.

It seems that every new Prime Minister we get carries out some sort of alteration to number 10. As we change Prime Ministers on a regular basis there must have been a complete rebuild over the last fifty years.

Maybe it should come under some regulations as it is an Historic Building and alterations should not be allowed at the whim of a new occupant.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Bingalau

It isn't just the Prime Minister, many other ministers seem to change their accomodation and office decor of the new establishments when they take up residence. Wasn't there a remark about the cost of wallpaper once!.

I recall many years ago, when a Chief Constable lost his job, through going 'over the top' with the refinements of his office and other expenses.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

What I find interesting is that each occupant of No. 10 seems to spend at, or very near, to the annual £30k budget allowed. Is it just coincidence that the exact amount of work needed doing matches the annual allowance?

Similarities to the 'expenses' scandal when MPs were spending all their 'allowed' allowances - because they thought they ought to!!

What's that saying about leopards and spots?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Never mind jetting off for the weekend without the kids. Sam and Dave should have been off to the local DIY shed like the rest of us, buying a few pots of paint and some flat packs.

They could have done the job for a quarter of the price.

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

"If this thread gets diverted onto a ridiculous discussion of the flat at No. 10"

Why is it ridiculous? The thread title says

We are all in this together - part 3

This to me and it seems quite a few other posters, that the majority of the country has to pay for others mistakes while those decision makers in banks and government carry on with out regard to others. Your not telling me that the flat was left in such a bad condition that it needed £30,000 worth of work doing.

FE you forgot the Victor Meldrew effect.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Thanks FM, very useful post. However, the FTSE 100 is amended quarterly and the change is at best normally only one or two companies; I think the record in the midst of the economic melt down was 7 companies. As you say, we are not privy to the full report findings and the base data that fed their report, however, given the relative stability of the FTSE 100 make up and the apparent clarity of language used by the report authors, it looks like we are comparing apples with apples.

I agree with the point you make with regard to the independence of remuneration committees; they are far from independent and in my opinion suffer from what can only be perceived as a conflict of interest.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous