We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Incentives to return to weekly rubbish collections

wids001

Likes # 0

http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/uk/2011/05/30/cashofferforbincollections

Seems the government are to offer cash incentives to councils to reinstate the weekly collections.

Anyone have any thoughts on fortnightly collections? They implemented it where I live four years ago (when the Liberals held the power on the local council). I personally didn't have an issue with it, and ensured that all rubbish placed in the bin was in sealed bags. When the Conservatives got back into the majority on the council here a couple of years back they reinstated the weekly collections (at a cost of 20p a week extra on the council tax). These days we have maybe 2 bags in the bin on collection day.

Like this post
wellshgit

Likes # 0

Our local council will be implementing fortnightly collections in September, but will still empty recycling bins weekly. As I recycle everything possible it won't effect me as I only have one bag of general waste a week.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If they'd have implemented fortnightly collection at the same time as the wheelie bins were introduced, there wouldn't be a problem in anyone's mind.

Why? Because the wheelie bins have 4 to 5 times the volume of the old black sacks. With the black sacks you would crush things like cornflake boxes to compact your waste. Soon after the wheelie bins arrival, we started to just chuck everything in, as is, and became wasteful regarding the efficient use of bin space.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The whole system of refuse collection is a total confusion, based on each councils judgment and perhaps funding resources. There appears to be no government 'set in concrete, one fix for all' guidelines of this subject.

I live on the border lines of three councils, and all have totally different systems of dealing with waste or other commodity disposal. Some use plastic bags of different colours, which by colour are collected at different times and alternate weeks. Others use a wheelie bins for household waste, and plastic boxes for plastics and newspapers, which are collected separately. Or two different coloured wheelie bins, one large one smaller for different items, collected on the same day, by different vehicles.

The council that collects our household waste, does so on a weekly basis, where most items are taken, then sorted by a ball-mill method. This still doesn't stop the council from running a daily convoy to a land-fill 60 miles away, because there are certain items that the sorting system cannot recycle. In fact last year it was costing the public £thousands more in paper storage, because there was 'no market' for waste paper. The same applied to abandoned cars a few years ago, but that market as since picked up.

Various schemes are on the drawing board, with outside companies and finance being heavily involved. One of the other councils had a large incinerator plant a few years ago, and this suffered a major fire, which put the plant out of action, and was never rebuilt. That same council is now talking about the return of the incinerator method, but nobody wants in in their backyard, so to say.

Until the central government gives direct instructions or workable guidelines, then there would appear to be a no win situation for all!.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

We have had wheelie bins for recyclable waste, landfill and, if you pay, garden rubbish. Had these for several years now. Fortnightly collection. Very efficient and no problem at all. But there are only two of us (most of the time) and it might be different if we were a household of 6 or 8 as seems to be the case nowadays.

Like this post
wids001

Likes # 0

Could not agree more Spuds. Here where I live the actual plastic items that the council accepts for recycling is alot less than the neighbouring council where my brother lives. I have been told that is due to different councils setting up deals with different recycling companies.

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Even though we have weekly collections, I only put my general bin out when it's nearly full, mostly that goes to 4 weeks now as most stuff goes in the recycle bins. One for composting (inc peelings and leftovers) and other for plastics, paper, tins. I have to take glass down to supermarket Big Bins.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

We have fortnightly collections.Two different coloured wheelie bins(one general waste,the other garden waste)two different coloured bags(cardboard & other plastic bottles)and a box for newspapers/tins/glass.The council will provide larger wheelie bins for those with a need for them,and issue penaltys for those who leave a bin out with the lid unable to be closed completely.When the wheelie bins were introduced,there was a noticable increase in the amount of fly-tipping(popular dumping point 100yrds away)even though the council were still collecting bulky items free.Several gardens around the estate became an eyesore with heaps of black plastic sacks of rubbish stacked under a rear window or behind a shed.The bin-men also seem to have learned howto handle the various collections more efficiently as initially,there was always lots of debris on the streets after they'd been & now the only evidence they've been is the pavements are blocked by wheelie bins/boxes etc.After a few years of methods to resist change such as these,the wheelie bins seem to have been accepted and the only noticable increase in complaints appears when the council screw-up the dates on the collection callenders.When we first got the wheelie bins,I struggled to get a fortnights waste into it but I soon learned howto reduce the amount of waste(taking a little longer buying the shopping as I had to visit different shops so as to obtain the item with the minimum packaging,grocers rather than supermarket for instance,rinsing plastic milk containers in warm water thus enabling it to be squashed flatter etc)We also now have many more methods to dispose of each type of waste thus reducing further the amount going into the wheelie bins.My only issue is the garden waste wheelie bins,I would've thought that these are useless as the majority of people don't use them,gardeners will keep their own garden waste for composting and non-gardeners will not create any garden waste.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps off topic slightly, but around my neck of the woods (and apparently most other places) we had/have the weekly leaflet drop or bag in the door for some charitable cause or another, wanting various good quality items.

I now note that some car wash areas, usually manned by Eastern European people, are starting collecting points at these areas for anything recyclable, and they are even offering you cash for bringing the items in!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen