We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Loft insulation -Now what?

SparkyJack
Resolved

Likes # 0

The topic has been discussed here previously I think though a trawl revealed nothing of import.

Having had the installer here on Thursday last to put in Free insulation[for the over 70's]

I had to remove pile of material before it could be carried out.

Much of it disposable one way or another - some to the dump other given away via Freecycle/Fregle- I still have a small amount to put back up there.

Before the new installation I had a number of boards across joists as storage platforms- These the installer would not move or replace they simply went over them.

So do I try to retrieve them and relay them over the new insulation and restore that which I wish to retain? Or is using the space not now advised?

You experiences/comments please*strong text*

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

wiz-king

Nothing out the ordinary then, possibly like most loft spaces. Old obsolete, but well worth saving!.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps worth a mention, re my previous post on thermal imagers. Your local council (if its big enough) might do periodic air surveys using thermal imager devices etc, so as to see if 'they can obtain better results' for the environment and increase funding.

Your local police helicopter might also oblige in seeking out an heat source from a loft. Its a cruel world out there!.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Your local police helicopter might also oblige in seeking out an heat source from a loft"

That'll be the day!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Ever heard about cannabis farming?.

I do believe you have two brothers in high ranking positions in the Met, perhaps it might be worth asking them about intelligence gathering?.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

FE on the first page I looked at your comments, Sounds like you have done this before are well informed or in the wrong job.

And to one other poster on the first page johndrew Air trapped underneath does not do no harm

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

I have one brother who was in the Met Police - now retired, and one still serving in the MOD Police, but neither of them were/are involved in looking for Cannabis farms.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

I've worked closely with people in the construction industry for a number of years. It's surprising how much information you pick up along the way.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you one and all- amazing how such a simple quert can give rise to such diverse comment. All I have to do now is dig down to find those boards.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

woodchip

I suggest you re-read my post. I made no mention of 'trapped' air only "an airspace ... allow air to circulate". Quite a big difference.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

johndrew If its under not above it cannot do no harm, And if you was on Contract at fitting the Stuff, You should have a go in summer when its hot and you cannot breath up there. You would be glad to get out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote