We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

£110M to Africa & Middle East from the UK?

Portal11

Likes # 0

Africa & the Middle East due to get a nice £110 Million over four years then there is the cost of the war, Does anyone think we are spending too much on other countries?

I am on the Fence with this so i am not siding cause i DONT know the facts..

Whats Your thoughts on this guys?

READ HERE

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

You usually find they have to then spend that money buying British made goods

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

" buying British made goods". Would that be armaments then!.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Indeed, but let's not get too watery eyed over the aid debate.

Of course we are acting in a humanitarian way but we are also acting in cold self interest. Aid equals influence in the region and influence is never too far away from financial benefit to us through contracts/mineral exploitation and the like.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Any one that works for a large company knows that when they are given - say - tickets for their staff do the boss's quickly give them to the cleaning lady and the door man?

In general I am against giving money to the boss's /presidents etc.There are better ways we could help the ones at the bottom. A simple example -poor dry countries - water will bring food etc. Send a team from here with drills pipes etc and show them how to do it. Then move on and show others how to do it leaving behind the drills for others to use and send them new bits/pipes as necessary. It will be harder for the big machinery to disappear into a bank! Send equipment of the kind they need and we get the jobs they get the benefit.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

woody

The idea you have suggested is perhaps a very good one, and in some areas of the globe, this type of work is already going on, usually undertaken by charities and people donations.

But we also have the other side of the coin, when items that are sent to aid a country are stolen, no matter the size. Many years ago, I was involved in a project, and the rather large machinery involved was stripped down overnight. It didn't take very long to get the items back, because the 'newness' became very identifiable in the area.

Like this post
BSOD

Likes # 0

"Africa & the Middle East due to get a nice £110 Million over four years"

That equates to 1p per person per week for 4 years. Or 50p per year. That is not much to aid a small bit of poverty in the world.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Of course we are acting in a humanitarian way but we are also acting in cold self interest."

Which would seem to me to be the perfect combination of motives.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'