We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

For those of us that help older

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Computer users.

I know many of us have older computer users under our wing who get of icons programs and so forth simply to just say - write a letter or completely bamboozled with the complexities- using a computer and the sending of an E-mail for example

You may like to know about something that came to my attention to-day A simplified 'desktop' for folk who have simple needs and are somewhat computer-phobic

Take a look at this- pretty good stuff - I shall recommend it to any of my flock that get bogged down in future

link text

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

My firt para seems to have 'lost a bit' But I am sure you all get the drift. Perhaps the time has come for me to switch to Elder

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

Is this just a program, it won't boot into it?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have issues with those that seem to think that it is just the Elderly that are PC Illiterate.

I know of some Teens and 20s that are equally illiterate. That does not mean that they cannot work their Smart-phone or even a PC, it means that they have absolutely no idea hoe these things work, that an Anti Virus is needed and how to do any of those things that are needed to keep a PC healthy.

Many of those that are, so called, Elderly Illiterates can see no particular reason why they need to use a PC and I have, in part, to agree with them.

I had this conversation with my Mother a short while ago, she's just a year short of Ninety and sharp as a tack. She had a logical answer to every one of my reasons.

So, my message to those that produce these Easy Use Programs is. Stop being Ageist, it's off-putting, and address the Market, for an "Easy Use Interface", as a whole, not just the one sector of it.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

We eddy I do agree with you about the so called ageist issue - but if you look at the site that is their target.

In my flock I have younger folk who cannot cope and some older folk like your mum are sharp as pins I attempt to tend their needs from software issues to hardware repairs,

And oh ,this year I will be 78 come July.

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

Sometime ago I had a similar idea and made a simple html page for an elderly new user. It has ten buttons and arrives at the desktop on bootup. He found it invaluable at the time but now that he is more confident to try things for himself I am sure he could do without it.

BTW, it is not ageist to recognise that the older you become the harder, and probably the more worrying, it becomes to try out new things. When I was young I would have relished the chance to try skydiving but I probably wouldn't want to now...... not with these knees.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You don't need your knees for skydiving, you will have to find another excuse ;-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad