We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Benefit payment annomalies

wids001

Likes # 0

Am I right in thinking that if you apply for housing benefit and have children at home who are working then the whole amount of their wages is taken into consideration whereas if you let rooms to lodgers only the amount they pay you in rent is considered.

Is this still the case only I remember seeing a report years ago where two retired mothers had "swapped" working children so as to get more benefit.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I don't have the answer to your query, but don't believe that one or more children living at home is quite the same as having one or more lodgers.

Therefore the fact their existence is treated differently within the benefits system doesn't really strike me as an anomally.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Claiming the various benefits, which apparently we are all entitled to, can be a very complicated game to play. Best to consult one of the experts in this field, whether that is a long term claimant or something like the CAB or similar advice groups.

I don't know if it still applies, but a few years ago, there was also tax exemptions and incentives to letting rooms in certain circumstances.

Like this post
mrmillimetre

Likes # 0

Childrens income is taken into account but it depends on how much they earn ie 18,000 to 20,000 = £44 etc so if they were earning that ammount you would have £44 count as income against your claim this is an example and not the true figure you would have to find out the proper amounts from your local authority or search on the web

Like this post
mrmillimetre

Likes # 0

further to above here are some figures for 2008 Non-dependant deductionsThe following are the amounts deducted from your Housing Benefit for a non-dependant who lives with you:

Working 16 or more hours a week, earning £387 a week or more: £60.60 Working 16 or more hours a week, earning between £310 and £386.99 a week: £55.20 Working 16 or more hours a week, earning between £234 and £309.99 a week: £48.45 Working 16 or more hours a week, earning between £180 and £233.99 a week: £29.60 Working 16 or more hours a week, earning between £122 and £179.99: £21.55 Working 16 or more hours a week, earning less than £122 a week: £9.40 Not in full-time work (including non-dependants on benefits unless no deduction is made): £9.40

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK