We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The incomprehensible vastness of the universe

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Scientists believe the explosion of a huge star near the edge of the observable Universe may be the most distant single object yet seen by a telecope. It's thought that the event occurred just 520 million years after the big bang. This means its light has taken 13.14 billion years to reach Earth.

Now that's what I call a long way. click here to read more

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...space is expanding so fast that it has taken the electomagnetic energy released by the explosion, travelling at the speed of light, until now to catch up with us."

Is it really space that is expanding, or are the objects in it moving away from each other?

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

Makes you wonder what the point of it all is.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

FE

I think the difference is that if we were simply moving away from one another we would "move out of the universe" i.e run out of space. Space has to expand because the universe is expanding. The fact that the space between is expanding also means that we are moving apart. The speed of this separation gives rise to the red shift.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

natdoor

We tend to say say that space is expanding because the distance between objects is increasing, and - as you say - if objects were just moving away from each other they would eventually run out of space in which to travel.

However......

We have no idea about how much space there is into which the universe may expand - it might be infinite if we think of it expanding in a spiral of constant radius.

It's all very intriguing, and the theorising will continue. Whatever the truth, we can be sure of one thing - expansion has been under way for an almost unimaginable length of time, and is likely to continue for an equally unimaginable time in the future.

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

Can we see the light from distant galaxies 13 billion light years away in all directions?????

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

userious?

We could if we were somewhere else, always assuming that there was 13 billion light years of space between us and the point of origin of the light. I can see what you're getting at, but the truth is, nobody knows.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

The example I find easiest to visualise is to imagine the objects drawn on the surface of a balloon that is being inflated. The space is being expanded as the objects move further from the centre and from each other.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

PS

I believe the balloon will go pop one day and everything will rush back to the centre, only to start all over again.

I wonder how many times this has happened already?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

oresome

Well, according to Stephen Hawking the universe (and time itself) began with the big bang. At that point all the matter in the universe was compressed into a single point of infinite density - a singularity. After the bang the universe started to expand, and that process continues.

The universe will eventually collapse again, although not for at least another 20 billion years, and maybe a great deal longer. Once that process begins the universe will contract until it is once again an infinitely dense singularity, and time will finally stop.

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

Then I shall have to invent a time machine. Puts thinking cap on and reaches for the JD.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite