We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The incomprehensible vastness of the universe

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Scientists believe the explosion of a huge star near the edge of the observable Universe may be the most distant single object yet seen by a telecope. It's thought that the event occurred just 520 million years after the big bang. This means its light has taken 13.14 billion years to reach Earth.

Now that's what I call a long way. click here to read more

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Its all a bit sad really.

The universe is vast!

However most of us live in our own little world and know nothing of, or care about, what is happening elsewhere unless it directly affects us.

"Exploding stars who cares I can't see it, I haven't got access to a 6 billion pound space telescope".

Thank god some people are born with or delevope a sense of wonder and even that some can convey that sense to others.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I can never understand why people get very sentimental about events that are supposed to have happened billions of years ago, yet at the same time, possibly show very little concern as to what is happening with the world around us today, or what our oceans hold.

There are news reports on very rare occasions of 'lost civilisations' here on the globe, yet very little resources are ploughed into this, or perhaps helping, locating our fellow mankind, fauna or animal life.

But then again, perhaps these lost civilisations etc are best left as secrets, before interference from man/woman ruins everything?.

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

No-one has mentioned Dark Matter, so I will: Dark Matter

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

*FM wrote 'If, as has been suggested, we turned our back on exploration and simply tried to feed everyone we wouldn't be human. We'd be just like any other animal.'*

Referring presumably to my earlier- and I certainly would not disagree with that sentiment.

But I think he must agree that seemingly a disproportionate amount of global resources and human intellect is expended on theorizing and conjecture on the imponderable - only to have this weeks theory over turned the next week-month-year

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother in law last week.

He was rather drunk at the time and said that the thing that kept him awake at night was the fact that light had no mass.

Never mind the fact that heating oil has doubled in price, inflation is running at 5% and he's been unable to find a job in his sixties, living as he does in a remote part of Scotland!

Strange thing, alcohol.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

ventanas raised a point which has puzzled me for some time, if the latest telescopes see objects as they were soon after the Big Bang why aren't they much closer together?

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

I think the 'universe' is just an experiment in a lab located at a place somewhere far beyond the imagination of us carbon based morons.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Covergirl "How big is it? Incomprehensively unquantifiable"

Not quite. It's eminently quantifiable, it's just the scale that's not comprehensible.

There was another interesting (and related) article today about electron orbits and their close to perfect circular orbits. The article also refers to seeing into the farthest reaches of the universe, searching for anti-matter.....but there's nothing there. Telegraph Article

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I tried to contemplate the size of the universe after the FE's post.

Regrettably my brain hurt so much I ventured to the pub for some sustenance and now I can't think at all!

I will, therefore, accept other posters opinions that it is very big.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

ventanas, Toneman

We were much closer when the event occurred. However, space is expanding so fast that it has taken the electomagnetic energy released by the explosion, travelling at the speed of light, until now to catch up with us.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...