We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What should "Super Injunctions" be available for?

wee eddie
Resolved

Likes # 0

That should be the question.

Should they be, to keep secret that you have been "Two Timing" your partner.

I think not.

Should they be to hide the fact that you have been dumping "Toxic Waste" in Africa.

I think not.

I think that the "Judiciary" needs to get it's own House in order before they start criticising us.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The only things that a super-injunction should be used for are already covered by the DA Notice system

By the way, after much legal wrangling the Grauniad managed to overturn the super-injunction taken out by Trafigura to cover up their dumping of waste at Ivory Coast

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

The Judiciary uphold laws passed by Parliament.

Now it may be that some laws have unintended consequences, in which case it's up to the parliamentarians to make ammendments.

However the speed and global nature of communications coupled with differing laws and attitudes in each country make enforcement of any national law difficult to say the least.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I always thought that Judges were appointed because of their intellegence and consider that the Judiciary should be expected to use it's collective brain power, when applying the Law of the Land. Were such instances to happen in a Classroom situation, they would be adjudged to be Dumb Insolence.

The two examples that I have chosen have been made because of Judicial Nitpicking and not because of the law, as it was intended.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I thought 'Super Injunctions' were specifically designed to enable those with enough money to protect their good names from being smeared by their disgraceful actions.

But perhaps those who know better will put me right ;-))

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"protect their good names from being smeared by their disgraceful actions"

What kicking a football and perhaps representing England?.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Spuds

"What kicking a football and perhaps representing Wales" i think you mean ;o)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Alan14; and I thought that Private Eye had something to do with it!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

wee eddie

They may have, I've only recently started reading Private Eye again after a while, but did take the Guardian during the Trafigura situation, so I'm only aware for their input.

By the way, I think Trafigura were the first people to apply for a super-injunction, unless someone knows otherwise. I'd be interested in knowing if Carter Ruck were the first law firm to use one to protect the public from knowing just how shady some people are...

Like this post  
bremner

Likes # 0

The Times today reports that it was Shillings in 2001 representing Naomi Campbell that opened the door for celebrity injunctions.

However it seems that it was Carter Ruck reprenting Trafigura in 2009 that led to the phrase superinjuction.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It is my belief that there should be a Commons Committee to view "all" Super-Injunctions and, if there is even a hint of another Trafigura in there, then Judicial heads should roll.

To me, the Trafigura Scandal was a disgrace to this Country of ours and, if there are any more such items, they should be made public immediately.

It would not surprise me if our Armed Forces were not sitting on one, or two, their purchasing deals have been somewhat less than transparent of late.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide