We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Beast stranded

Strawballs
Resolved

Likes # 0

One reason not to make your car too long Oops

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

I bet the secret service people were panicking

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Another little bit that proves bigger isn't always better!!

I bet the embassy have some 'roadworks' carried out in short order as well.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I bet they were red faced because the car in front scraped and the beast is a lot bigger.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

Should have used a Hillman Imp instead.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

As a side issue- but I was led to wonder- This 'Beast' was in Ireland

Is there more than one- or does it go into the hold of 'Airforce 1' ? Likewise the helicopters also used.

The logistics of shifting this stuff around the globe on the presidential journeys in interesting to say the least -

Or perhaps each embassy has its own 'Beast'?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Luckily for the Secret Service that was the decoy car, but apparently they've rerouted some of the journeys through London.

I would have thought that among the many inspector gadget options fitted to this car would have been hydraulic rams to lift the car up a bit to avoid any obstacles in the road, because it seems that you can easily defeat this car by placing a 2 inch block in the road. A bit like daleks and stairs...

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Air Force 1 I expect but have they repaired it for London.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

SparkyJack

There's at least two Beasts, and there's two Airforce One planes. The Beasts arrive by US Navy C-5 or C-17 transport aircraft.

The helicopters are standard US Navy issue, so would be taken from the closest aircraft carrier. When used for Presidential duties the Helicopter is known as Marine One.

As an aside, my employer's parent company recently signed a contract worth $1.5bn a year to provice US military logistics, part of that contract involves ensuring bits of the presidential retinue are in the right place at the right time.

There was a very interesting piece in the Times this weekend. There's 1,500 staff that travel with Mr President on foreign trips, and at least 24 vehicles in the convoys. Before he goes anywhere there are two teams that carry out advance checks. The Pre-Advance team visit all stops on the journey and check for possible vulnerabilities. The Advance team then follow and install bullet proof glass, and gas & bomb detectors etc

Times Link (requires registration)

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014