We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Characters

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just been looking through a locked thread and came across a posting by tigertops2 in which he mentions that I am a character. Now as there are many different types of characters in this world (even in/on this forum) I wondered what category of character I come in?

While mentioning "tigertops2" I wondered where he got his handle from. I think he may have been active in drinking pints of Tiger beer with a smidgen of lemonade on top. He may even have had this wonderful experience drinking them in the Armada Club in HMS Terror. Or maybe in the jungles of Malaya or Borneo. I wonder? Those were the days.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

As an aside, I wonder if you are Malaya as it then was. Just curious as I am from that part of the world. If so, what a small world it is.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

rickf. No, but I spent twelve months in Ipoh in 1950, and then spent two lots of two and a half years in Singapore. I'm deeply ashamed that the only bit of local language I learned there was "A Happy New Year" from my Chinese Amah. Nothing in Malay and nothing in Tamil or any of the other languages spoken at that time. (I'm afraid I am very much a "lazy Brit". It is still a small world now compared to those days. It used to take about two weeks for an airmail letter to reach my girl friend in 1950. Now with e-mail correspondence is more or less instant. Brilliant! How I wished I had made a note of my Amah's Identity card number so that I could have traced her on a recent trip out to Singapore.

Like this post  
rickf

Likes # 0

Good to hear of youe experience in Malaysia and S'pore. I am going for 3 wks in Aug for what I think will be my last visit there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today