We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SITE SPEED

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'm sorry FE, but the continual slowdowns in loading pages is making the site unusable. It's a pity, as there are lots of knowlegeable people out there who want to help, but they (like me) will be reluctant because everything is SO SLOW.

Like this post
Monoux

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I understood the reason for secrecy was to avoid questions like when is it going live and what's in it rather than the reason you outline, but of course I could be wrong.

I would have expected the selection to be random and made by computer rather than any individuals nominating folks to test it.

Either way once the site was made public I would have thought any secrecy becomes pointless.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I would have expected the selection to be random and made by computer rather than any individuals nominating folks to test it."

I made the selection, not a computer, and it was based on choosing a spread of people with differing degrees of interest in the site and with varying lengths of 'service'.

I specifically asked the people I selected not to disclose the fact in the forum, because I didn't want others to feel that there had been any element of favouritism involved. There wasn't, I was conscious of not wanting to upset any sensibilities.

Perhaps predictably, two people have deliberately chosen to completely disregard my request - something which I find distasteful, to say the least.

That's enough about them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

On a more positive note.....

I can report - in a slightly more informed way - about what happened yesterday.

All the servers in the cluster were automatically restarted during Sunday evening, and that resulted in an immediate improvement in page loading speed. What we have not been able to discover - at least not for the moment - is why that happened. In other words, we're in the dark as to what caused the problem in the first place.

The fact is, there was a problem, and what we can all agree on is that it was not acceptable. I, for one, do not fancy spending another Sunday afternoon facing a barrage of (understandable) forum complaints.

At a meeting held this morning we therefore decided to spend a substantial amount of money on an urgent upgrade; we've committed £10,000 for new hardware solely to run the PCA site, and with luck that should all be up and running within 10 days.

My apologies for the bad service, and for the fact that I wasn't able to tell you what the cause was at the time. We needed to put our heads together today.

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

Thank you, for that.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Dick Tattor

You're welcome; I'm only sorry I couldn't be more informative yesterday.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Thank you very much for your email. Let me publicly acknowledge the fact that I misjudged your motive, and wrongly alluded to you in my earlier post.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Sounds like a result!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Servers have feelings too, Error404 a personal message from the server

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015