We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SITE SPEED

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'm sorry FE, but the continual slowdowns in loading pages is making the site unusable. It's a pity, as there are lots of knowlegeable people out there who want to help, but they (like me) will be reluctant because everything is SO SLOW.

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

I have always been a supporter of this site bit after using it in its new format I am really frustrated. It's12:35 and a new post of mine has been waiting over 5 minutes with the Please Wait … showing at the bottom of the post. It has a link in it, (great way to insert links I don't think), so maybe that has something to do with it. I appreciate that the forums are free but I don’t know of any that aren’t. I’ve just signed up to Custom PC’s forum as used by Gengiscant, (post above at 10:05 today, and will see how they compare. I will persevere with the PCA forums as I do like them overall but feel that the new format is a retrograde step.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I remember reading an article, in PCA, many years ago, regarding the constituents of good site design and what one should look for in a Host.

Although my memory may be faulty on the exact details, I think that the Management should re-read the item and address those parts of it that are relevant to this site.

I think that part of the problems may lie in that the Designers are using, modern equipment, in areas that have Internet speeds that exceed 512MBps, whereas we, the Hoi polloi, are stuck in the boondocks, many miles from anywhere, with ancient PCs and snail like connection speeds.

It would make sense to send the Geeks out into the country and make them familiar with living in such surroundings.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Don't think it matters, I'm on 22mb download and have the same issues with the site

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Quote : "The page loading problems are not directly related to the site design"

I'd like to argue with that.

When you've got a piece of code (like on any of the PCA forums Subject for Discussion index) which creates a hyperlink in the form of "Last Response" = "X minutes ago" and "By" = "Responder" and neither of the links do anything unique, that's a pointless piece of code which is not working properly.

If it's not working correctly, then there's obviously something wrong with it (the coding), in which case it may just be trying to resolve itself and going round in circles causing a slowdown.

The index page hyperlinks are just one example that is getting on my wick.
It would be nice to be able to click the last response hyperlink and be taken to the correct place. I actually think that is how it is supposed to happen, but the site designers haven't actually perfected their coding yet.

I never saw anything about beta-testing the new site - did anyone else and if so, did you participate? (Not that I would expect anyone to own up).

If it was my companys website, I'd be suing the website designers. Or not paying them.

I'm also having trouble finding a link (Next or a number 2(3)) to get to page 2(3) of the forum index page. Probably because I'm on IE7.

Also, things like and make me lose confidence in the site. Also the fact that you can't leave comments if you are only on IE7.

BACK

Angry Bird robots under Wi-Fi control This text will be replaced

A number of bots were on show at the Beijing International High Tech Expo this week

Video Source: IDGNS Boston Article Author: Nick Barber Video Category: News

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

And the POST button which also doubles as a PLEASE WAIT button.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

After another please wait button . . . .

Which should have read :

Also, things like this and this make me lose confidence in the site. Also the fact that you can't leave comments if you are only on IE7.

I enclosed the "this" with so another FEATURE I have just found.

Try typing something enclosed with and see how it looks in the preview panel.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Oh, it doesn't like

They were shifted comma and full stop i.d. right & left arrows.

Like this post
Monoux

Likes # 0

covergirl

“I never saw anything about beta-testing the new site - did anyone else and if so, did you participate? (Not that I would expect anyone to own up).”

I was invited by Email about 7 to 10 days before the go live date to apply to be given a URL to the beta site for the new forum.

I did not respond.

I have to say though if that was the time scale of the beta testing it was woefully inadequate and it is little wonder that there are all these problems despite the fact that there are apparently IT professionals on the site.

Yes it might be free but that doesn’t mean it should be second or third rate, it wasn’t before the so called improvements so why should it be now.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Monoux

Thanks - interesting.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I also took part in the beta testing.

Can't remember all my points, not many of which were favourable, as I recall, but I am the original reactionary!

Points which I can remember, are use of the 24 hour clock, and the idiocy of the "My Posts" set up.

The reason you've not seen much reference to it is that we were asked not to, to avoid people saying "Why was so-and-so asked, but not me?" a reasonable point I think but it, like the super injunction, has now been breached.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014