We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SITE SPEED

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'm sorry FE, but the continual slowdowns in loading pages is making the site unusable. It's a pity, as there are lots of knowlegeable people out there who want to help, but they (like me) will be reluctant because everything is SO SLOW.

Like this post
Monoux

Likes # 0

Seems to crash and run very slowly far more often than before.

Shame really because it used to be a good site, not anymore

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Dick Tattor

You're a little confused, I think.

One of the main reasons for the site redesign was not to "handle the traffic" at all. The server handles the traffic through a web site, and "Top notch" sites run into difficulties quite frequently - even Microsoft and Google have problems from time to time.

Posting threads about slow page loading achieves nothing whatsoever, other than allow people like yourself to express irritation. We don't need slow loading brought to our attention, we know about it almost before you do. This site runs on a server cluster, which - as you seem not to know - is a system whereby inbound traffic is allocated to the cluster's web nodes, so additional servers can be added if inbound requests warrant it.

It's a topology that is very widely used, and normally works very well, but occasionally there can be problems. When they occur the hardware usually resolves them automatically, but sometimes it can take a while. It's as irritating for us as it is for you, especially when - as appears to be the case here - it happens over a weekend, when people are not at work.

This is a free access site, and as a result we're not in a position to have staff standing by on a 24/7 basis - it already costs a small fortune to run the site as it is.

We'll analyse the server logs early next week, and see what can be done to prevent the same thing happening again. That's always assuming that the problem was a server-side one in the first place, and not something beyond our control on the internet routing side.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Woolwell

"I don't call 4 hours fairly soon"

Neither do I, and we're very sorry. Perhaps if you fancied paying an annual subscription to access the site we could afford to have server technicians on a 24/7 stand-by.

Like this post
BSOD

Likes # 0

Same as usual. It's everyone else's fault except yours (PCA).

No matter how you dress it up. The site was unusable.

And no I don't know how " This site runs on a server cluster, which - as you seem not to know - " You are the experts in computers and web design.

It also does not look to good for new or prospective members who come across the moderator on a supposedly friendly help site jumping down peoples throats because we bring something to your attention.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It's the weekend.

The site is often very slow at the weekend.

That's progress!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Dick Tattor

I'm not getting into a silly argument with you on a Sunday evening. I haven't dressed anything up, and I certainly haven't denied that the site was unusable. I didn't jump down anyone's throat - I went to some trouble to try to explain what might be wrong, but that doesn't seem to have satisfied you. You're obviously set on making a thing of it.

I can't stop that, but you'll have to do it without my further participation, I'm afraid.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sorry, it just won't wash. The previous version of the site ran like clockwork. I frequent a number of other free sites which work at lightening speed. Something is amiss with this one now and will put people off participating, which would be a great shame. I am not trying to blame an individual, but feel those in control should be aware of how the users feel.

Like this post
BSOD

Likes # 0

"You're obviously set on making a thing of it."

No I am not. I and many other forum members brought this to PCA attention.

You replied directly to me, so I responded. All we wanted was a

Yes it is slow, we will look in to it.

As far as I am concerned, it's the end of it.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

Some difficulty earlier today but now it's as quick as ever, temporary glitches happen, easy to live with if it's infrequent.

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

It's coasting along at a fair rate of knots now folks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...