We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SITE SPEED

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'm sorry FE, but the continual slowdowns in loading pages is making the site unusable. It's a pity, as there are lots of knowlegeable people out there who want to help, but they (like me) will be reluctant because everything is SO SLOW.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

At the Helproom page there is an indication at the extreme top-left, of the number of PCA Members, currently Over 310500. I think it would be interesting to know how many are Active Members!

Site seems to be a bit quicker at the moment!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Nontek

With the speed its been running this afternoon I think they've all been trying to get logged on at the same time!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm not quite sure what you think I can do on a Sunday afternoon?

The page loading problems are not directly related to the site design - they may be caused by problems on the server cluster, local internet switching and routing issues, or a combination of all those things.

Posting a thread about it doesn't really achieve anything; all heavily-used sites experience these difficulties from time to time, and with a server cluster arrangement they usually resolve themselves fairly soon.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Tried to post 3 times now and every time had the "please wait" message come up and waited and waited.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Take me home, I promise that I will not make noise, Or mess the Forum with other boys. Oh please don't make me stay; I've been here one whole day!

Dearest father, darling mother, How's my precious little brother? Let me come home if you miss me; I would even let Aunt Bertha hug and kiss me!

Wait a minute; it's stopped Hanging. Guys are typing, FE is smiling. No more Moaning, gee that's better. Mother, father, kindly disregard this letter!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Not sure if a change of browser might provide a few answers?.

The sites been extremely hit and miss most of the day, with very slow speeds, unable to get in, post's going into cyber-space etc.

Just changed from IE8 to Firefox 3 and the site definately seems to have speeded-up!.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

FE - sorry, but it was never like this with the previous arrangement. I do not expect you to do anything on a Sunday afternoon, but my reason for posting (backed up by others) is to bring to your attention that things are not working out as we hoped they would. When it takes a minute or more just to load a page, people will give up/not bothet, which is not the aim of this site. I, like most others, were happy to give the new site time to settle down and iron out the problems, but after weeks, there are still so many difficulties that patience runs out.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

I thought it was just me, the site is slow at the moment but I am sure they will sort it out

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

"I'm not quite sure what you think I can do on a Sunday afternoon?"

No expects you to do anything, you shouldn't need to. The site was redesigned weeks ago and one of the main reasons was to handle the traffic. A top notch computer site should run as smooth as clockwork, this one consistently runs as it is moving through treacle.

"Posting a thread about it doesn't really achieve anything;"

Yes it does. it brings to PCA attention that their has been a glitch that has stopped the site running smoothly. No one expects staff from PCA to monitor the site 24/7. So the glitch may have righted itself before staff re-logged on. So PCA would know of the fault.

That is constructive comment and not a moan.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It isn't any particular browser. I tried to post to this thread earlier this afternoon and gave up. The helproom forum has had little activity for about 4 hours. I don't call 4 hours fairly soon.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do