We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Stopping smoking.

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

There, I've started a thread about how I'm going to stop smoking... Tomorrow is Sunday and I will finnish off all the cigs I have. Monday I start night shift and a bad time as no shops will be open at 'dinner time'. Not looking foreward to failing as I've published my intent.

Anyone got pills for this problem?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks all for your words of encouragement. Well, I've stopped for 24 hrs. I'll now go for the week.

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

Stick to each 24 hours. Pick a time in the day and give yourself a big YES!! when you acheived another day as an ex smoker.

When your brain starts nagging you to just * have one *, shout and scream at it that you are now a non smoker.

I Gave up on will power 5 years ago.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

The first week can be the toughest bit but you are through the first 24 hours-well done and keep it up! you CAN do it

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

@wellshgit

Hope the book helps, it helped me quit and stay quit. Thats 8 years now, It helps you stop and not miss smoking after. It really does work. let me know how it goes for you.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I just decided one day that I just did not enjoy it anymore and actually gave the tobacco I left to a friend because that I had made my mind up, that was boxing day 98 and have never looked back, don't get me wrong it was not easy but well worth it.

I was an unhealthy 8.5 stone at 5'11" now I'm up to a good 11.5 stone and as we do welding at work we get a lung function test every year and my score went up for 3 years running at first and is still higher than while I was smoking. The 88 stairs up to some of our offices without a lift I still find easier even though I am 50 this year so keep it up it will be worth it!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

had a look at most of the posts but cannot see one that tells you not to mix with smokers if your are trying to quit nearest I got was

forum member Posted May 22 '11 at 8:53

About changes he made, and felt better for them. If you are going to quit its no good saying I will do it tomorrow when I have used up me Cigs.

Like this post
wellshgit

Likes # 0

Rob-08 Well I bought the book and read it, and am pleased to say I smoked my last cigarette on monday the 30th may. So thats 8 days without one, after 56 years of smoking. I must say I am finding it relatively easy after reading the book,compared to patches etc. I am determined that this time I will remain a non smoker.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm ashamed to say I failed on the fourth day when I was offered one during a break at work. So plan 'b' is no buying hand rolling and stick to the expensive manufactured ones. Now cutting down to eventually stop! Need to be able to keep some in the car so if I'm offered one it won't be like it's a special treat. Grrrrrrrr

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

rdave13: I gave up on 16/10/1986 after many failed attempts, including patches, gum, hypnotism and acupuncture.

It is not an easy road, if you accidentally find yourself smoking one, throw it away immediately, do not attempt to finish it.

You may find yourself being really short tempered. Apologise to those on the receiving end and explain, most will forgive you.

Good luck.

Like this post
wellshgit

Likes # 0

RDave Sorry you failed. But keep trying. Cutting down to stop rarely works. Why dont you buy the book. There is a link to it on this thread. I was sceptical at first, but it really does work.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes