We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Stopping smoking.

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

There, I've started a thread about how I'm going to stop smoking... Tomorrow is Sunday and I will finnish off all the cigs I have. Monday I start night shift and a bad time as no shops will be open at 'dinner time'. Not looking foreward to failing as I've published my intent.

Anyone got pills for this problem?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The point about beating the nicotine addiction - or any other addiction come to that, is never to say 'I'm never going to do it again'.

Better to say 'I'm not going to do it tomorrow', and keep on saying it, day after day. Eventually you'll not bother to say it because you're through the worst. There will be bad days, but they're soon gone, and as you start to feel better it will get much easier.

You may get all kinds of symptoms as you withdraw from nicotine - a feeling of having mild flu is very common - but none of them are so bad you can't cope with a bit of help and support.

Go for walks, get lots of sleep, and give yourself little rewards at the end of each day - maybe a favourite snack, or a glass or two of your favourite drink. You'll be more likely to succeed if you do the 'day at a time' thing.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Keep it up. As an ex heavy smoker I quit 35 years ago. My wife stopped at the same time. We nearly killed each other for about a fortnight but we are still going strong and are much better for not smoking. What finally convinced me to stop was to read in a medical journal thatstrong text the body starts the repair process on heart, lungs and everything else affected by smoking within 24 hours of stopping. Now that is a real incentive-just remember it and give the repair process a real chance.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Motivation and will power-

On Monday you say "If I can stop for a day the I can stop for a week"

Next Sunday you say "If I can stop for a week then I can stop for a month"

Next month you say "if I can stop for a moth then I can stop for a year"

The hardest habit I had to break was the actual reaching for the packet or starting to take one when offered by my mates.

Like this post
wellshgit

Likes # 0

Rob-08 Just ordered the book from Amazon. Thank's for the link.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I was diagnosed with throat cancer a couple of years ago caused mainly by heavy smoking and drinking, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I stopped smoking because it hurt my throat whilst I was having treatment and I stopped drinking because for about a year I could not swallow anything.

After 2 years I started smoking again only because I woke one morning a really felt like a fag. I have since given up again only because I cannot afford it and with the help of Champix Anti smoke I found it much harder to give up this time than the first time a couple of years ago. I also do not drink any more because a side effect of my treatment is most of my taste buds were destroyed and beer etc tastes foul. It is sadly missed.

Good luck in your attempt to give up the weed.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I stopped smoking, after approximately 50 years and several failed attempts, by choosing a DATE that I could never forget - 1st April 2000! I knew I would be a Fool to start again after that date! Not smoked since.

Good luck yo you now that YOU HAVE STOOPED SMOKING!

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Congratulations! You are now a 'non-smoker' (regardless of anyone who terms it being an ex-smoker!)

I was a 40/day person and, thanks to the Allan Carr book, stopped one day and considered myself a 'non-smoker' and that's what I said if anyone offered me a cigarette.

It's now 15 yrs and I've never looked back.

Go for it. You are not 'giving up' anything, you are gaining ...

Again, congratulations!

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

I did exactly the same 5 years ago, finished what I had and then stopped. That was after more than 40 years of smoking. I found it remarkably easy, probably because I really wanted it. Good luck to you.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

You may find a false ciggy helps to fill the problem of "what to do with the hands" because you are used to having a fag in your mitts. Last resort use a Nicotine patch taped across your mouth. Anyway good luck with the Cold Turkey, I found about 14 days is when it got critical. This time next year you will need advice on how to lose weight.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I gave up giving up a couple of years ago,unfortunately I'm unbearable without a cigarrete and the prospect of continuing the battle and lose my family,or remain a smoker was an easy choice.I used to be able to manage without a cigarrete for days so would frequently quit,only to resume the next time I got drunk.The last few years,fate has been employing dirty tricks and smoking has become my only pleasure,but being stuck inside often (weather playing hell with my back injuries) has resulted in my nicotine consumption rising from at most 10 skinny roll-ups per day to 50-60 per day lately,I'm even noticing previous roll-ups still burning in the ashtray when flicking ash from the next yet I have no memory of just smoking one(& anyone who smokes roll-your-own will know that the butt will go out quickly once discarded)

I sincerely hope you win your battle though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...