We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Car Delivery Charge

morddwyd

Likes # 0

This is not in Consumerwatch because it’s a rant, not a recommendation.

I’ve just taken delivery of a new car and, like so many others, have had to pay the iniquitous “delivery charge”, £500 in this case.

Why are dealers still allowed to get away with this?

No other retailer adds a compulsory delivery charge to the advertised price, and I’m quite sure they would fall foul of consumer law if they did.

Do other countries permit this? I have bought two new cars on the mainland, but didn’t have to pay any such charge.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I used to make a few quid driving new cars to the purchasers(especially those wishing to have their new car ready for the road 1 second after midnite)but lost touch with my contact in the trade years ago.It was common for a brand new car supposedly being run-in to be thrashed mercilessly however far it was being delivered as much bragging about "I got it to 3 figures along the A roads or motorway..." took place.I wouldn't pay £500 to have my car delivered as £500 is more than I've paid for my last 2 cars added together. :)

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

'I used to make a few quid driving new cars to the purchasers' wrote 'chegs'

As I did in the '90's
Either delivering or picking up from storage depots across to country, back to base for cleaning and PDI prior to delivery. The latter journeys could some times be fraught with excitement as on occasion the vehicle may be in less than perfect state of completion.

On one occasion the workshop foreman asked me if I experienced any strange movement in the journey from Oxford to Kent - 'Not especially said I' - I asked he said 'Because the driver seat was not actually bolted in.'

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I note with caravans that many manufacturers state that the dealer may impose an additional charge of up to typically £595 for the cost of delivery to the dealer and the dealers PDI.

Presumably the "up to" cost is based on the cost of delivery to the most distant dealer from the factory, yet with few exceptions all dealers tend to charge the maximum amount regardless of their proximity to the factory.

On a similar theme of extra costs, I worked for an electronics manufacturer that charged extra for a number of things which you might think would be included in the purchase price.

Standard products that were intended to work together...........there was a charge for a system test if the customer required the items to be tested as a whole.

Product specification............there was a charge to confirm that any particular product actually met the published specification.

Warranty was an extra cost and products could be purchased without warranty with only "out of box" failures then accepted for return.

Naturally, all prices were factory gate prices. All transport costs were extra.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad