We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Car Delivery Charge

morddwyd

Likes # 0

This is not in Consumerwatch because it’s a rant, not a recommendation.

I’ve just taken delivery of a new car and, like so many others, have had to pay the iniquitous “delivery charge”, £500 in this case.

Why are dealers still allowed to get away with this?

No other retailer adds a compulsory delivery charge to the advertised price, and I’m quite sure they would fall foul of consumer law if they did.

Do other countries permit this? I have bought two new cars on the mainland, but didn’t have to pay any such charge.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Cleaning, stock insurance charges,Preparation of registration documents, Admin charges for arranging finance, costs of vehicle used for delivery to dealer, cost of comprehensive insurance if vehicle is delivered to customer, etc.!

Other retailers have to pay for cleaning and stock insurance, admin charges for arranging finance (in some cases this actually makes them money, because they get a commission from the finance company), cost of vehicle used for delivery to their premises. Many dealers charge for preparing the registration document separately anyway. Mine did, and I had no objection to this.

I deliberately said, in several posts, that I would have no objection to these charges if they actually delivered. Amazon and John Lewis etc have to insure their stock in transit to the customer, but manage to include this charge in their price, even if its an extra p&p charge. I would suspect, in any event, that their normal dealers insurance would cover this, since they would almost certainly deliver on trade plates.

Dealers on the mainland, at least in some countries, do no make this charge.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"it is the only comment that matters."

No it isn't.

Retailers do actually deliver the goods they charge delivery on, however that charge is levied or disguised.

Car dealers don't. If you actually want your car delivered you will pay extra again (normally).

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

The first new car I ever bought was a mini. It was delivered to the house I was living at, on time and with the extra of a heater and it was still less than £500 at the time. My gripe was then, that it wasn't new as it had actually been driven to Liverpool from somewhere in the south of England. I said it should have been delivered on the back of a truck. Needless to say I got nowhere with my gripe.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

F/E amplified my earlier post. Every purchased item carries a 'delivery charge' whether or not it is 'built in or added to a stated price. All those 40tonne eight wheeled logistic trucks clogging our motorways and burning fuel at 8/10 miles to the gallon - they don't carry stuff for free. A supermarket chain may employ such a firm and pay as much as 50p a case for storage and redistribution. And coming back to Cars - have you seen those huge floating boxes that carry the cars from Japan/Korea/or even Europe- how much per car does that shipping co get, per car? And most cars are imports these days.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"Dealers on the mainland, at least in some countries, do no make this charge"

Which mainland are you referring to? If Devon is on the mainland then I recently paid a delivery charge for a car.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps if we looked at this from a different view point about delivery charges on other commodities and services.

On a weekly basis, I have many items delivered to my home address by a fair number of retailers, including Amazon, Ebuyer, Screwfix, Toolstation, CPC etc. Most of those retailers have a delivery charge system, but in most cases they will deliver for free, and next day, and usually if you only spend a minimum amount, perhaps as low as £5.00. Amazon even deliver on occasions Market Place items for free, as perhaps an incentive to their independent sellers.

If you look on eBay, you will also find many items (usually electrical- electronics)that are far cheaper than here in the UK (and might be the same product), and if you are prepared to wait for the airmail journey from Hong Kong and China etc, then a great bargain can be made. Most of the items advertised have postal charges that are far less than sending a letter from one side of the UK to another part of the UK. I have also find this with some imports from other countries including the USA.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I have many items delivered to my home address"

Exactly. Cars aren't.

"Which mainland are you referring to?"

The mainland which we are a small island off the NW coast of, and Devon is not on it!

It's time Brits realised that our fellow citizens of the EU see the UK much as the UK sees the Hebrides.

A quaint little place somewhere up north.

Like this post
monkeyboy21

Likes # 0

It is important to note the delivery charge is levied by the manufacturer and not the retailer. It is a cost that retailers cannot avoid. All cars should be quoted with an OTR (on the road) price when you are purchasing the vehicle. This will always include tax, and delivery.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Transportation is one of those intangible costs that lots of people have difficulty with. The fact is, goods need to be moved, from a button to a truck (yes, even trucks need delivering to their users). I'ts not cheap, and thanks to rising fuel prices its not likely to get any cheaper in the foreseeable future. And someone, somewhere has to pay for it. You may not like it (who does!), or query the amount, but at the end of the day if it displeases you so much then vote with your wallet and do not make the purchase.

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

**It's time Brits realised that our fellow citizens of the EU see the UK much as the UK sees the Hebrides. A quaint little place somewhere up north.**

Maybe it's time you did some travelling around Europe. If you did, you would discover that our fellow Europeans don't see us like that at all. In any case, what has that to do with car delivery charges?

As for "Amazon and John Lewis etc have to insure their stock in transit to the customer, but manage to include this charge in their price, even if its an extra p&p charge."

Since when did those companies consign items costing tens of thousands of pounds each?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room