We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Car Delivery Charge

morddwyd

Likes # 0

This is not in Consumerwatch because it’s a rant, not a recommendation.

I’ve just taken delivery of a new car and, like so many others, have had to pay the iniquitous “delivery charge”, £500 in this case.

Why are dealers still allowed to get away with this?

No other retailer adds a compulsory delivery charge to the advertised price, and I’m quite sure they would fall foul of consumer law if they did.

Do other countries permit this? I have bought two new cars on the mainland, but didn’t have to pay any such charge.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"Very few other retailers do this, well, of course, they do it, but include the charge in the advertised price."

Er no - Most online retailers quote their delivery charges separately and not in the advertised price as do retailers like Currys and Comet. It will cost you £x to have to delivered and installed and if you are not careful online and do not uncheck the box you will pay for taking away the old too.

Your point about collecting it from the showroom is however valid as that it is like collecting from a retail outlet. You do not normally pay for delivery to the retail outlet.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Again, you've missed the point.

When retailers make a delivery charge it is for delivery to your premises, not their's!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I thought that my last para meant that I understood the point!

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

I may be wrong but in the past I always thought the cost of the PDI was included in the delivery charge

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

You just can not compare a car to a white goods item, if you go to Comet, Curry's, John Lewis any body you care to mention to buy a fridge, washer, name any thing and you may get a choice of silver or white, and if you buy a fridge freezer from one of them unless you have a very large van you will pay to have it delivered to your home.

Go to a car show room and the permutations of choice are nearly endless, no dealer could have that many cars in one place, so you went and bought a brand new car with the options you wanted, that car had to be made to your specifications or sourced from a dealer who did have it, which could have been 300 miles away.

Or you could have saved yourself thousands by buying a top of the range demo with say 6000 on the clock and no delivery charge.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps going off tangent slightly. But who can recall the vehicle chassis drivers of long ago. They were a very hardy breed, just sitting on a box at the front of an open chassis, in all weathers, taking a delivery somewhere.

Coming back to dealers 'perks'. Have you read some adverts that state 'Great Savings', then read the deal as to incorporate a finance package arranged by the dealer. In the small print, it may well state that an 'arrangement fee' and 'final settlement fee' are applicable. These fees are usually in the three figure region. But I suppose this may cover any delivery charges, because the vehicles are already in stock as 'used one owner, with delivery mileage'?.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"You just can not compare a car to a white goods item, "

Of course you can.

"if you go to Comet, Curry's, John Lewis any body you care to mention to buy a fridge, washer," and pay a delivery charge the product is delivered to your door.

You still have to go and collect a car.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Didn't I rad somewhere that TESCO were going to sell cars. I wonder if they will be charging delivery too. I also wonder do you have to pay a delivery charge if you buy your brand new vehicle in Germany at say the Mercedes factory.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

You don't if you pick up your brand new Toyota from Bremerhaven!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You keep saying that people have missed the point, but I don't think anyone has missed the point. It is irritating to have to pay this charge, and of course it isn't the same as paying a postal charge for delivery to your house, but I responded to your comment that other retailers don't make a delivery charge.

The car dealers justify the charge by saying that they - unlike an ordinary retailer - don't receive the goods from the manufacturer in a 'ready to go' state. They have a number of things to do before the vehicle is ready to drive away. These can include :- Cleaning, stock insurance charges,Preparation of registration documents, Admin charges for arranging finance, costs of vehicle used for delivery to dealer, cost of comprehensive insurance if vehicle is delivered to customer, etc.

I'm not justifying those costs, I'm simply pointing out that car dealerships are subject to them. You could argue that they should be included in the stated purchase price, but retailers commonly want to keep their prices competitive by not including delivery charges (of any type). You should find that the delivery charge is mentioned somewhere in the pre-contract documentation in any case. It's illegal to add charges to a sale contract after the event without the buyer's agreement.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days